Right, last time im gonna ask before finally buying!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 1, 2005.

1. JJ "High Gain" 12AX7

9 vote(s)
  2. Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH Gold

2 vote(s)
  3. It doesnt matter that much

6 vote(s)
  1. Yeah, so i keep putting it off, because im having to go on other people recommendations for getting new pre-tubes

Im pretty much down to the high gain JJ 12AX7's or the ElectroHarmonix 12AX7EH Golds

And as soon as i was away to buy the JJ's, i thought back about going with the EH's, bah, im going to get nowhere at this rate ! ! !

please please please please dont make any other recommendations as ive had enough bother picking between these two!!!

Looking for a good gritty sound thats still pretty full ranged (maybe mid bumped a tad) for punk/hardcore
  2. bump

damn it, why did i include the 3rd option :rolleyes:
  3. Just retubed my Demeter VTBP 201 with 2 high gain JJ's - VERY smooth and musical. It helps that one is matched and the other is very close....great tubes for the price. I'm sure you've done all your homework, but JJ/Tesla is making some great tubes that are being reviewed as such.

just my .02 worth.

Take care,
  4. yeah; ive looked into them , these 2 seem to be the best ones i should look at, im thinking about the JJ's cus they are cheaper, i spose i could always try EH's if im not that happy with them
  5. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Preamp tubes are relatively inexpensive. I'd just buy a set of each and try them & then you will know for sure next time. Heck maybe you will even like a combination of the JJ 12ax7 and EH 12au7 or visa versa... or arent you replacing the 12au7's?
  6. you'll wind up being fairly happy with the JJ's (or the EH's for that matter). I was able to get two JJ Grooves for just about 20 bucks on evilbay...I realize those prices were for this side of the pond, but they were definitely a steal.

I get a VERY tubey sound through the Demeter pre...very full and resonant (almost "wet" sounding). I also run the signal through a small tube compressor post-pre and pre-power amp. All in all running the signal through 3 tubes prior to power amplification has been a great move for me.

Now of course I'll have to think about finding a home for the trusty Nitrobass...go figure.

Take care,
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  8. Im just getting the 12AU7's the same as the 12AX7's, i wont buy both sets at the same time, i really cant afford that, i need my money for other purposes too

I think ill get a full set of JJ's now, then closer to christmas-ish time ill get the EH's and play about with the settings

I like how some evil mod changed my poll option, confound it!

JJ's - 5 votes
    EH's- 1 vote
    it doesnt matter that much/shut up fool - 6 votes :p