Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right... more newbie questions, but maybe not as daft as my last.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amphetachronism, May 6, 2005.

1. Okay, last... Saturday, I bought a Yamaha RBX-270. It was pretty much thumbs up until Sunday morning, other than the fact that the cable was pretty difficult to plug in (Some may remember my post about a week ago), and was very difficult to unplug. The cable seemed to fit into my amp and electronic tuner with no problems at all.
    The jack itself moved around a little in the body, and was able to be twisted, wobbled slightly, etc.
    Now, Sunday, I was tuning up the bass and noticed that the entire plug itself had come clean out of the socket, exposing the wires and a small metal ring that I guess was supposed to seal it inside. I couldn't do anything to get it back into it's socket in the bass body. I took it back to the store, and the staff there were pretty surprised, as were several customers who stopped by. Apparently, Yamahas are well known for their reliability and quality control.

So, they took the bass and ordered a new one from Yamaha. It arrived today (At time of writing, Friday). Pleased with the good service, I went to collect it. They tested it briefly in the store, and the socket seemed to be secure and fine. The cable seemed to fit in and out without much effort.

However, upon getting the instrument home, I found that it had exactly the same problem as the old one. The cable is very difficult to plug in and remove, the socket is quite loose and can be twisted and wobbles a little. It doesn't show any signs of actually coming out, yet, but I'm worried that I'll lose another weeks practice if it does.

I understand that the RBX series aren't exactly Yamahas highest quality basses, but surely the quality control levels aren't this low? Is the socket supposed to be this loose? Should I just return the bass and get my money back, while there's still time, or is it a problem that can be easily cured by either myself or the store?

I'm pretty irritated that the same problem is troubling me, and would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks a lot,

Matt

2. rambob

rambob

Mar 28, 2005
    maybe your plugging cable in technique needs a little work?
    I think the little nut holding the jack comes loose over time, just screw it back on. As for the cable being hard to insert/remove, this could be down to the jack itself, and may be like that on all of that range. You can replace the jack input if you want.

3. Well, yeah, I guess it could, but this bass has never even seen the shop shelves. It's not like it was a display model, or second-hand.

4. If it was OK in the shop, and the problems only appeared after you got it home, I would suspect the jack plug on your instrument lead. If it is a cheap one, or a home made one, it could have been squeezed oval while it was being soldered up, which would give you difficulties with insertion, withdrawal, and the likelihood of overstressing the socket on the bass. Try your lead in another socket, and try another lead in your bass's socket.

Jack sockets fit by clamping the wood of the body between a flange and a nut. They usually do this in one of two ways, either with a flange on the inside of the wood, and a nut on the outside, or a flange on the outside, and a nut on the inside. My Yamaha has the flange on the outside, and the nut on the inside.

You can get at the jack socket from the back of the Yamaha. unscrew the screws holding the black plastic plate on, and that should get you into the compartment with three pots, and a jack socket. The jack socket should have a large nut (about 1/2 inch internal diameter) which tightens up towards the wood, to clamp the wood between it and the flange on the jack socket outside face.

5. I've tried both ends of the lead I'm using in the amp and electronic tuner sockets, and it isn't tight in those.

With the replacement bass, I got a lead in the box with it. I tried that out, and it still seems pretty tight. I measured the diameter of the head that plugs into the bass, too. That looks to be about 6mm on both - about 3 sixteenths in Imperial?

I'd have the back off, but there isn't a screwdriver in sight that is small enough for the screws.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I think the jack designs on those Yamahas are silly. Perhaps replace it with a more normal one?

7. Easier said than done. I am insanely new to the whole bass thing, I'm barely getting to grips with the simplets aspects of playing. I'd be way out of my depth swapping parts around. I'll bear it in mind, though. Might see if I can find somewhere that'll do it for me.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have a hard time believing it's a design or construction flaw with two basses. I'd cut yer losses and go out and buy a new cable. Bring the bass and try it out in the store (maybe a different one from the one that you bought/returned the Yamaha).

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    When you pull out the dropchord from the bass are you pulling from the chord? This will certainly twist the input jack and eventually loosen or break it in some cases. I have never heard of that problem happening twice but you may have gotten two bad jack inputs in a row......

10. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    I have a Yamaha RBX270 (although I don't play it any more) and I've never had this problem, or any other problems with it. Instrument cables aren't exactly expensive so it would make sense to buy a new one and see what happens. Also, the input jack on one of my other basses came loose once, but that's definitely not an excuse to get a whole new bass! You can just take the back off the bass and tighten up the nut that holds the jack on.

11. I brace a finger against the socket itself and pull from as close to the bass body as I can, so that I'm not just tugging the whole thing out.

Archon: Hey, I'm not looking for an excuse - I love my Yamaha to bits. It blew away every other bass in it's price range, ande from what I can see, some above it. I didn't like any of the Fenders I heard. I'll take a look at the back as soon as I've found a tool small enough to have the screws out.

For now, I seem to have solved the problem, though. I just twisted it once or twice and heard a small click, and the socket seems to be staying pretty firmly in the body. If it happens again, I'll take it to someone that knows what they're doing. Thanks for all the help (and patience with my incessant dumb questions :meh: ), everyone.

12. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    I wasn't suggesting you were looking for an excuse to get rid of the Yamaha. I meant that the input jack coming loose generally doesn't require a brand new replacement model. It's good to hear that you've fixed the problem for now, but you'll probably find out what was causing it when you take the cover off.

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have been playing a Yamaha RBX 765A 5 string since 1998, and I have NEVER heard of a problem like this (nor have I had an issues with mine). Don't get sucked in to the "poor quality" thing... Yamaha's are pretty good basses in the $400-$900 range. Go buy a jeweler's screwdriver (or an electronics screwdriver) and take a look at the jack itself...it sounds like the problem is there and just unfortunate that you got two bad ones.