Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Nov 30, 2000.

1. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    You all know it "Right on Time" from RHCP. Can anyone give me pointers on how to play it. It seems much harder to play than "Around the World"

2. Well its the double speed octave thing youre after right? Well all I can say is : start out slow and Practise practise practise practise practise (x1 zillion). Its all I can say, theres really nothing more to it I think. :)
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    C'mon! Practice what!? It's about QUALITY practice, not QUANTITY practice! Take it from a guy who practiced & practiced & practiced "improperly" for 20 years! :)

IF you're talking about that DISCO bass line in "Right On Time"(...and that's what it is, folks), the rhythm is-
    /1.&a2.&a3.&a4.&a/=ONE 1/8 note + TWO 1/16 notes

Obviously, the "trick" is to get your PLUCKING hand in shape to sustain this sorta rhythm.
    For now, MUTE the strings with your plucking hand & perform that rhythm(1.&a)on the "E" & "D" strings; then go on to tyhe "A" & "D" strings. Pay particular attention to what your plucking fingers/hand is doin'. Take it slow To get accuracy & the needed muscle memory.
    Too, practice that rhythm INVERTED-
    /1e.a2e.a3e.a4e.a/=TWO 1/16 notes + ONE 1/8 note.
  4. Yes practice makes perfect. Practice a lot. Make sure that you practice new stuff so that you actually learn from it. Now back to Right on time... actually I am pretty sure its 22-44 not 2-44 and that is what makes it so very difficult. 1/16 all the way. :) But you are right about the muscke thing. Its very hard to keep up those 1/16 for a longer period than 5 secs ;)

5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...try this-

22-44, IMO, would be "easier" than 2-44. Why?
    With 22-44, your plucking hand would be 12-12(or 21-21).
    With 2-44. the plucking pattern could trip one up 'cause you're gonna be LEADING with a different finger on the low string each time(if you adhere to strict alternation).
    I still believe you need a plan when practicing. Mindless practicing 24/7 ain't gonna cut it(IMHO, of coures). :)
  6. Yes I see where you are comin from JimK, but the song is played 22-44, and I am pretty sure thats how its played. But you are right that 2-44 is harder due to the finger issue you mentioned. Well I just try to tell how it is played, and you are probably right about the 12-12 plucking (or 21-21), at least I cant figure out any other sane way to play it. :)