Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right Said Fred vs. Jaco...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Is it me or is the guitar lick in Right Said Fred's "I'm too Sexy" @ aprox 1:10 minutes a copy of Jaco's "Slang" @ 2:16 minutes??

Wow, I really have too much time on my hands.. I was just listening to "Slang" last night and I thought to myself that I heard that lick in some other song..

2. You're probably thinking of Jimi Hendrix's 3rd Stone from the Sun from Are you Experienced?. That riff is common in Jaco solos and is in that RSF tune.

- Dave

3. Ahh, I didnt know that.. I was like "Wow, Right Said Fred listened to Jaco" :)

Edit: I just went back to listen to the Hendrix tune.. You are absolutely right..

4. wow what??

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the other thing to bear in mind is that "Slang" was not a fully-worked-out composition, as such - just whatever Jaco felt like playing at the time! ;) It's just Jaco's solo slot!

So there are many different recorded versions of varying lengths and Jaco "quoted" all sorts of popular tunes he liked - like "The Sound of Music", "Alfie" etc. etc. - as well as including bits of his own compositions like "Portrait of Tracy".

So it's not surprising that bits of it sound like other things - that's how it was put together....

6. Ohh, I know.. its not suprising to me that it was totally random.. I think the chain of musicians is whats really crazy.

Hendrix>Jaco>Right Said Fred?? haha

7. Bruce Lindfield

How about Julie Andrews to Jaco!! ;)

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Hendrix got the phrase from the "Coronation Street" (UK soap opera) theme music.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Which is ripped off from Dvorak!! ;)

10. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    who ripped it off from debussy's clair de lune. (play it backwards at (x)pi speed)

11. wow.

anyone think the Crossroads (the UK soap) theme was ripped off the Byrds' "turn turn turn"?

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's why I wowed.

13. Unfortunatly now I can't listen to Jaco's solo without thinking of the bald Right Said Fred guy walking down the stree with his muscle man shirt singing "I'm too sexy"

14. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hey, this could get into a nice little variation on that "Six Degrees of Separation" game!

Actually, I suck at that game. Forget I mentioned it!

Matt

15. "I'm too sexy...for my frets?"