Right Shoulder Killin' Me!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by spyingcracker, Nov 12, 2004.

1. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Ever since I started practicing more often, I've been getting a dull pain on my right side near the back of my shoulder blade. When I play, it hurts worse than normally. I play with the bass up fairly high, but not as high as many I've seen. My belly button is about even with the g string on a four. Any technique tips to help alleviate this problem?
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I sat down and watched Jaco's instructional video the other day. Seems as though he had the same problem you're having. Billy Sheehan once this "You gotta put more into it, if you want more out of it". But the down side is the lactic acid buildup when you make your mucsles work harder. The good thing about it, is when you've got it, it doesn't go away. Your mucsle's retain a certain kind of memory. So if you put the bass down for a year or two after playing for 10 years, it takes little effort to get back into the swing of it.
  3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Happens to me too after a nice 4 hour rehearsal :eek: I got a portable heated back massager from Brookstone and I keep it in my car on the back of the seat. Really helps. Also, try going to the chiro for an adjustment 2-3 times a month. Advil is good, too.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Best way to alleviate muscle pain is to strengthen your muscles and joints. Find some good stretching excercises (yoga I've heard works well), and do some light weight training. When you think about it, a bass is very light, at an average of about 9 or 10 pounds-soldiers have to wear 50lb+ backpacks far more often and for much longer periods, and they can do it because they've built up the strength and endurance up there. You can also get a wide (3 ro 4") strap to help disperse the weight. If you still have problems, see a doctor.
  5. waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Do you sit down while playing? I'm asking becuase any time I sit down for long periods I get that happening in my shoulder too.

I think you need to lower your strap a little. When it's too high you force your shoulder to "kink" upward and back in an uncomfortalbe position. At least that's how it works for me.

Even a tiny adjustment in strap length will help.
  6. Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Play lighter.

It will help your tone, and you'll be able to play for days.