Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right size for strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by raycer, Jun 12, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Sorry, I did a search and could find the answers I was looking for.

I'm looking to change the stock strings on my Squier P-Bass 4 string.

I was told by one of the guys at the shop that Squiers are strings 40-95 and I should go with the same sizing. The problem I have is that, atleast around here, I seem to be very limited in choices of strings.

I mostly play metal (70's 80's metal), some newer hard rock stuff, and 50/60s rock. I thought I'd be better off with a heavier set, say 45-105. which would also give me alot of choices (EB, DR, Fender, etc...)

What size strings would you recommend?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you change your string size, you will have to adjust your truss rod and your string height. This is probably why the shop told you to stay with the same size. However, the adjustments are easy and for metal/hard rock, you probably want heavier strings. If you ever tune down you will need heavier strings.

If you decide on heavier strings, go to the setup forum here at TB and search for truss rod and string height adjustments. There is a wealth of information there. :bassist:

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY

4. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    hmmm, fender says on the Squier site that the bass comes with 45-100, not 40-95.

Odd, Rich (guy at the store) is always dead on with stuff.

But it does make choice for strings plentyful