Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right size

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gallienkrueger, Oct 8, 2002.

1. what would be the correct size for me for an upright? im about 5'3-5'4ish and i wanted to know is a full scale the right size or still a little bit too big?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    FREDDY KRUEGER,

I think you should probably play a 3/4 like most of the rest of us. I recently got to hang out with Kristen Korb and check out her bass....she's a tiny little thing and does just fine on a 3/4. One of my newer students is a woman who stands 5'0" and weighs maybe 100 lbs soaking wet. She's playing a 5/8 and hates it. She said she feels 100% more comfortable on my 3/4, and will look to get one that size when she moves up. If you look in the "newbie links" thread at the top of this forum, there's at least one thread on this very subject. Good luck.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I say go with a 3/4. I'm vertically challenged at 5'6" myself, but I didn't have any trouble with the sheer size of the instrument.

Although people do tend to look at me funny when they see this short guy walking around with this huge bass on his back...

4. im 6'2, so should i go with a 4/4??:confused: :confused: :confused:

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I would say that you should rent and take lessons for a while before you spend any cash. This is if you are new to the instrument, of course. Once you have some time on the beast you'll be able to make a appropriate choice of basses when you go shopping.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    No. I'm also 6'2", and a 3/4 bass is just fine. The only reason I can think of to play a 7/8 bass is if I happen to find one that I fall in love with the sound of. But that's true for any bass of any size.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Expounding on Chris's point just a bit, I don't think a bass can be too small, only too big. Also, you have to factor in how you play. I cover a great majority of the range from nut to bridge when I play, where some people more hang at the bottom half of the neck. Body size becomes more of an issue if you have to reach around the fiddle a lot. String length is even more important. If the reach is too big for you you're going to be crippled, in facility if not eventually physically.

8. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I'm 6 foot and I play a 7/8s. Its an excellent orchestra bass but tends to be a little "boomy" when i us my pickup at jazz gigs.

So, as someone who has played a 3/4 and 7/8, i would say it depends on what kind of playing you're going to be doing. If you're going to be in an orchestral setting a lot, i'd say go for a larger bass, if not, maybe a smaller bass is better for you.

9. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I'm around 5'4" or so. I play a 5/8 bass, the string length is the same as an average 3/4 bass but the girth of the neck isn't as large as a 3/4 and the body isn't as large. I've found that in orchestra my bass is as loud and louder than some 3/4's and not as loud as others. Just try different basses and when one "fits" with you you'll know it. I don't make a point of telling myself I'll always play smaller basses because when it comes time to buy a bass it will very likely be a 3/4. I say go for sound first and as Ray said, just make sure it's not too Big. That's where trouble can start.

10. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    I"m 5'2" and play a 3/4, my dad's 5'4"-5'5" and the basses he's played over the years were generally 3/4- he's never mentioned any problems with the size of a bass- the quality, yes- but not the size...

-i will admit, that some of the facial expressions people give when they see a short statured individual lugging a bass around are priceless-

11. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I admit I'm short 5'5". I play a 3/4 and find if comfortable. I've always wanted to try a 5/8 or even a 1/2 just to see how they feel and sound.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm 16 & 6ft and i play a 3/4. Still get weird looks from people whenever i lug the thing around but i think that's mainly because i'm in band classes and not orchestra [marching band, jazz band, concert band]. thats all