Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right thumb anchor

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tbone0813, Oct 28, 2005.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Do you anchor your right thumb on a string/pickup when playing, or does it just 'float' across the strings? I find it more comportable if my thumb just glides/floats across the strings as I play. It seems my wrist isn't at an angle as much either. What do you guys think? :hyper:

2. I almost always rest my thumb on a string, not always the same one though. Depends where I'm playing, but whether it's the A or E string, or a pickup, it's usually anchored on something.

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yeah mines on the pick up if i'm hitting E, on E if I'm hitting A etc unless i'm moving back and forth between strings real fast

4. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I play a 5 string, and I almost never use the low B, so my thumb is anchored there, sometimes on the low e and I'll pluck the low e with my thumb sometimes too. I tried switching back to a 4 string and it was too hard

5. Float, although my thumb tip often rests on a lower string so it's ready to pluck it.