1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Right thumb anchor

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tbone0813, Oct 28, 2005.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Do you anchor your right thumb on a string/pickup when playing, or does it just 'float' across the strings? I find it more comportable if my thumb just glides/floats across the strings as I play. It seems my wrist isn't at an angle as much either. What do you guys think? :hyper:

2. I almost always rest my thumb on a string, not always the same one though. Depends where I'm playing, but whether it's the A or E string, or a pickup, it's usually anchored on something.

3. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yeah mines on the pick up if i'm hitting E, on E if I'm hitting A etc unless i'm moving back and forth between strings real fast

4. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I play a 5 string, and I almost never use the low B, so my thumb is anchored there, sometimes on the low e and I'll pluck the low e with my thumb sometimes too. I tried switching back to a 4 string and it was too hard

5. Float, although my thumb tip often rests on a lower string so it's ready to pluck it.