Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right, what power tubes!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 25, 2005.

1. NOS RCA

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Electroharmonix

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Svetlana (maybe Sovtek, i cant remember:S)

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. "Premium" tubes

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. The only thing wrong with my SVT was one tube was on the way out, but the rest arent far behind it, so, ive got a few choices for replacing them (they are 6550's)

Choices:

1) NOS RCA 6550's US built (has a friend selling them brand new condition for the same as the EH's)
    2) Electro-harmonix 6550
    3) Svetlana 6550's (actually, im not sure, may have been sovteks, they were a bit cheaper than the EH's)
    4) "Premium" tubes 6550, sounds like a cheap make to me, and was the cheapest

What sould i go with, they are all within about £40-£50 of each other for the sectet, so whatevers best ill get

Im needing to know by tomorrow morning! (its about midnight here atm!)

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Wow, I just voted, and I didn't realize "Premium" was a brand name. I thought you meant, you know, good tubes, such as NOS Telefunkens or Mullards from eBay, or Groove Tubes. If those are the cheapest, I'd think twice about it if you can afford better.

3. yeah, im thinking about going with the RCA's, or maybe the EH's

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    NOS RCA. No doubt about it.

5. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    check to see if you can fit KT88's, if you can, get some JJ's.

something is SERIOUSLY fishy if the RCA's are NOS and being sold for the same price as the EH's. They should cost at least 50% more than EH.

but if they're real NOS RCA's, and actually are the same price? get them without hesitation.

6. I think the guy whos selling them is just an idiot and doesnt know how much they are worth

I was talking about the KT88's, apparently there wont be much sonic difference and they'll be more expensive, aswell as the bias system on the SVT II wasnt desinged for them, it can handle them, but is apparently better with 6550's

I wont argue with what the guy said, he deals with JJs and has thier KT88's, so, if he's suggesting something else, then theres probably a reason

I think the RCA's might be rebranded Sylvania tubes, if they are then they are the same tubes as what I had before (but the other ones were rebranded Philips ECG)

The RCA's seem to be winning this one

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think choices 1,2 and 3 are all fine tubes and you'd be happy with any of them. I don't know anything about #4.

8. yeah, i just posted 4 incase it was some kind of secret super tube or something, i get the impression its probably made of cardboard

9. seems to be going for the RCA's without a doubt then, pretty much what i was thinking :)

10. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    likely, the "super secret premium" tubes are the chinese made stuff...

i don't know about their 6550, but their KT66's are great, and their 9th generation 12ax7's get a lot of press... bt the RCA's still win.

11. yeah, i phoned up and am getting the RCA's, £130 is an alright price i think

ive got a full new set of driver and pre tubes to put in, balanced JJ's for the driver section and hi gain JJ's for the pre stage :)

so the amp is just getting a full retube

12. Not meaning to throw a cat amongst the pigeons here but I'd just like to say I replaced my Ruby Tubes KT88s with the Re-issue TungSol 6550s in my Trace V4 with very pleasing results... I paid for a matched set of 4 (I know you'll need six) for 76 squids from ebay...

13. arent the tungsols rebranded sovteks or something?

it doesnt matter anyway, im set with the RCA's, £130 for the set tho

14. I think so, they replica of the Tung Sol design made in russia. Good luck with the RCAs anyhow.

Cheers, Matt

15. They're the same tubes as Sovtek KT88's, not really a rebrand since they're all the same company.

16. cheers for the email reply PBG :)

unfortunalty the RCA arrived and my tech checked them out and they were a tad leaky, do what extent i do not know, either way, its getting Sovteks in it now, so the amp itself is in perfect condition and is going to have a full new set of tubes, so, yup :D

17. In that case, get Sovtek KT88's. They're killer. Don't worry about the stupid bias lights. A KT88 should bias exactly the same as a 6550. There is NO modification needed.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I agree completely, I LOVE the Sovtek KT88 in my classic 400

19. I was actually advised against them, the guy said he might have to change the bias pots or something, its not the 2Pro its the II i have, so its not got the lights anyway

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    then get the Tung Sol 6550 ;)