Rights or wrongs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 4string2sweden, Jan 4, 2004.

1. I'm new at playin' bass, and I'm teachin' my self, so for all of you experienced players, are there any major dos and don'ts about technique, or just playing in general?
  2. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i've never had an instructor untill i got to college. i even started double bass on my own. I've been playing BG for a little over eight years now. If you're pretty smart and driven enough a good instructional book will get you started. Read as much as you can. Talkbass is a good resource as is Bass Player magazine. Lessons do help a lot. Some things are hard to explain unless you just grab someones hand and move it.

really think about everything. Think about the way your hands are supposed to move and listen to the sounds you're making. Listen to what your body tells you as far as movement goes. If you wanna hold your bass past your knees cause it looks cool that's fine. but take a sec to think about how much harder it is to play that way. And people in Hardcore bands usually have their guitars up high because that style is really technical and is some of the loudest, heavest, and toughest music around.

Just keep your mind on what you're doing and don't let any opportunities to improve your playing slip by.
  3. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Studying and playing scales really helps to gain technique and getting familiar with the notes on the bass.

Always play with a metronome and minimize flaws.

Play everything slowly, dont rush the speed will come later if it is to come.

Start making your own basslines, it really helps and it might make you feel good when you come up with a cool lick/riff.

Remember also that playing needs a lot of time and practise and you dont learn to play in a one day.

And the main thing:
    Have fun!
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sorry, That should be a GOOD tutor...a BAD one will cause mucho damage.
    ...and a newbie probably wouldn't even know the difference.
    One guideline many use is this-
    If a prospective teacher can't read music...move on.

In a way, I'm glad I statred playing when I did('72)...there were no electric bass teachers or How-To-DVDs & very little books(I had the Mel Bay book. Very BFD). Basically, it was records & hanging out with 'older' players.
    Sure, it took me 2 years before I could play a song...2 years of paying some dues in a hot attic while my friends went pool hopping.

...and it was fun.
  5. Thanx a lot for everyone's tips. I did get a teacher, at a music academy, you cant really screw up havin' a bad teacher there.