Rigs for 8-Strings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Feb 12, 2006.

1. I sold my old Kramer some time back but now I have laid my hands on a Washburn 8-String with active PUs (deal was too good to pass up). It has a much different sound than the Kramer - less rock+roll and more hi-fi. I used to run the Kramer with a very distorted guitar amp for the highs and a bass amp to handle the bottom (something big bottomed if possible like an Ampeg).

The Washburn sounds and feels different in every respect with a longer scale, lightly finished - almost bare body - and the actives , so I'm looking for suggestions on what sort of amp setups I might try to get some cool sound out of this bass. I'm not locked into using this bass for any particular style. I'm more interested in experimenting and finding out what it may be good for. Figured you guys may have some fun ideas.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i had a warmouth 8 string for a while. i have to get another one or a 12. i found it to sound good through a standard bass rig. I also dialed in a bit of distortion from a sans amp pedal to good effect. Some peopel go overboard with these axes sending them to guitar and bass amps, using crossovers, etc. I'm sure it sounds great but i got plenty of the 8 string mojo from the bass itself and altering my playing style to take advantage of the bigger sound.