1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rigs for keyboard bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eeven Steeven, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Dudes, I know I am WAYYYY outnumbered by the string players...from time to time I do double duty as keyboard bass/keyboards for 2,3, and 4-piece bands. Does anybody have experience with a good rig for keyboard bass stage/room systems?

2. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm curious about this myself, as I plan to sit in with a friend's band a couple of times this summer on guitar and keys duty. At the moment I have a 1x12 Hughes & Kettner bass combo that I'll try, but I have no idea how that'll work out.

3. benjonesonbass

benjonesonbass

Jan 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Basses, TC Electronic Amps/ Cabinets, Dunlop Strings, GruvGear Accessories, 1964 Ears In Ear Monitors, LM Products straps
    as a double duty player myself, i have found that it is much less about the rig and more about volume and the mix. i have always used either a 4X10 cab or a combination of a 4X10 & a 1X15 or 2 4X10s depending on weather i'm using my own gear or the supplied backline on the road.

the trick is to have a small line mixer of some sort. this is how you balance the eq and levels so one instrument isn't way different level wise than the other. it also allows you to keep both instruments plugged in and ready to go at all times.

i have (and do) managed to do this effectively with just a 4X10 cab. you shouldn't be trying to feel as much low end on stage as you would in the house so your amp rig is just a monitor for you. with levels and eq set correctly, you should be able to use whatever rig you use for bass.