Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rigs for motorcycling?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kurosawa, Mar 21, 2001.

1. I really miss getting around by motorcycle, but with my current rig, that would be impossible. I was wondering if anyone here regularly transports their rig to the gig on a bike (without use of a trailer or sidecar), and if so, what kind of gear they have chosen to make things easy (including bass).

2. I don't even like carrying a gig bag on mine.... to hard to manuver with it. And it tends to flap in the wind.......(I wish it would hurry up and get warm).

Here's my bike. 1973 Triumph Bonnie with Springer front end-------

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    K-man, sounds like you need a Steinberger (I like my Spirit 5'er, my only "low-end" bass) and a Sansamp DI.

4. i knew a guy that had one of those little motorcycle trailers. he hauled around his eden metro, and two basses (in flight cases) that way.

guy gigged alot too, never knew of him having any problems. don't know what he did when it rained, as he didn't have a car.

5. Yeah, a headless bass and a DI sounds like the perfect bike rig. But I'd still like a bike-able amp. Played an itty-bitty Ampeg yesterday, a BA112 that was pretty decent. Anyone had a chance to A/B it with the B50R?

Nice bike, Fretless5. I saw that conical front brake drum and really missed my '71 Lightning (Trumps and Beezers had lots of parts in common in the early 70s). Bro had a '71 Firebird with a blue metalflake Tracy unibody and a 5x16.

But I figure if I'm going to use a bike that'll get parked outside some raunchy places, it may as well be very ordinary to keep it from being ripped off.

6. Since I ride a lot I've thought about this quite often. I think one of those De Armond Ashbory basses in a backpack style gig bag would work. The amp is a problem. The Sansamp DI is a good possibility if a good PA is available.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i can't even imagine hauling around my thumb bass and my eden on my bike :eek: i ride a '98 triumph speed triple...man, that would be a sight. but, hey, you remember that article bass player did on tony levin a couple years ago? they showed a picture of him going down the road on his harley road king with his 3-string slung on his shoulder :D

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Have someone else take your gear :D my ashbory i can carry while ridin my bike-& a pair of headphones btw when i say my bike-i'm about 15 i mean my pedal powered transportation yeah baby yeah! ;) :D

9. Perhaps a Gallien Krueger MB150 amp? (I think that's the name.. whatever the small yet powerful combos that GK makes are)

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Perhaps an Ashdown ABM C100-300?

It's a 300w 1x10" in 55lbs box.

11. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Iused to carry my bass in my Mooradian gig bag across my body, and I used my cargo net to put my GK MB150 on my bike. The bike was a 1988 Honda NT 650, great bike. Never should have sold it.

I recently bought a new, Fender gig bag for a cheapo bass. It straps on like a backpack. This would make riding much easier.

The GK sits on the bike very nicely.

-Shin

12. Dad was an engineer, and engineers were highly individualistic back in the 50s. One of my first memories as a kid was one of Dad's best friends coming up the street to our place on his K-model Sportster with his 12-string slung over his back. He went everywhere that way, so yeah, that idea about the gig bag with the backpack straps is a good one, I'll definitely do that. The amp is a bigger problem. It will have to be small enough to bungee on, but put out a good, solid low B. It'll be a while before I get the bike, but I'd better start searching for that amp now.

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Kurosawa, you want a solid B, but how loud?
    I usa a TraceElliot Boxer 15 practice amp. That 8" speaker chocked me, first time I tried it - knocked out a superb low B! And, at full gain, mid shifted and full out, it can fill a 400 p venue - clear thru a grand piano, drums and singing congregation. Incredible!
    Size approx 30x40x20 cms, weight approx 9 kgs.

14. Wow! OK, I'll have to try one next time I'm near a stocking dealer (none in this area).