Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rik tuners???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Mar 20, 2002.

1. BoognishMang,

Those look like the Kluson keywinds RIC used back then.

That crack is obviously from tightening the pickup-holder screw, which is NOT an adjustment screw!

If you want to know the reserve, e-mail the seller and ask him/her.

--jeff
    (P.S., Ween kicks ass ;))

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Exactly where mine was broken when I got it.

A new pickguard cost me $60, as I recall - Rickenbacker can't provide an exact match for older basses, and the guy that was making the high quality copies out from your original isn't doing it anymore.

I'd say that broken pickguard takes $100 off the value - it's already overpriced. I'd pass on it...

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    overpriced!?!?

here in italy a similar bass price is around 1200$...

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The tuners on this bass are Grover's. They are the factory originals. Rickenbacker used Grover's on the 4000 series basses up until 1974. This bass was made in July of 1973. I see it still retains some of the 60's features. 1973 was the transition year for the 4001. Rickenbacker updated the look of the bass with a number of changes in that year. You will find most of the January-April made 4001 with 60's features still there, but May-December made 4001's saw those features disappear.
    Cheers,

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but at the current, not-yet-meeting-reserve bid of $575 + $30 shipping + $100 for a quality pickguard, it's overpriced in my opinion for those of us in the US! If the reserve is under $700 I'll be very surprised.

6. Ummm, it IS the adjustment screw for the neck p/u height...

The crack could've been done by the bass (the p/u) falling against, or something falling against it.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No, it's not an adjustment screw - it's a mounting screw. As a matter of fact, many people file the heads of the screws on the pickup (part 05126 on the attached) thinner to allow the neck pickup to be mounted closer to the strings.

I'm no expert, but all four Rics I've disassembled have been like this. Evidence enough for me! Of course, you could make the neck pu adjuctable by adding spings or foam and a pair of longer screws, but why? The pickup is too far from the strings as it is!

There's no springs under the neck pickup - it's a solid mounting to the pickguard. And cranking them down too tight results in the break as shown - I've seen it twice before, plus on mine when I got it. I questioned a few well-known Ric people about this when I fixed mine, because I thought my 4001 was missing the springs.

See http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdf/gpickups.pdf, which covers bass neck and guitar pickups.

8. Nil, I've been inside my Rick, it is indeed just a mounting screw, not for adjustment... the neck pickup's height is NOT adjustable, using conventional means that is...

Thanks for the correction, Bassman! I forgot about the Grover tuners.

--jeff

9. Well, I dunno about your Rics, but both of mine ('98 4003AG and '89 4008 Redneck) have springs underneath the neck pickup, making it very height adjustable. And both basses haven't been modified...

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You know, I always say the day I don't learn something new is the day I die.

All the ones I've peeked inside have been 4001 models - I wonder if this is a change that came in with the 4003? Do you remember how big the springs were in relation to the bridge pickup springs? I wonder if there's any advantage to my retrofitting mine...

Which neck pickups do you have - toaster or button?

Oh, and can I call them or what? Check the final price on the auction... :D

11. Nil, I think you're talking about the bridge pickup, the one that comes with the cover that everybody takes off. I have the button-top "hi-gain" pickups in my stock 2001 4003 JG, and the bridge/treble pickup is EXTREMELY height adjustable, while the neck/bass pickup is NOT ADJUSTABLE AT ALL, and if you try to over-tighten the screws that hold it to the pickguard you WILL crack the pickguard. Feel free to go ahead and try, new pickguards are $30 US from Rickenbacker. Order ahead so you're not going around with a cracked pickguard.

If you would like pictures of the innards of my Rick, I'd be happy to provide them.

--jeff

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't forget Ric is known for changes...

13. f_e, no, I am talking about the neck pickup. I'm not a total tard.

My 4003 has button-top hi-gains, the 4008 has a toaster in the neck, hi-gain in the bridge.

The springs are small, pen-like - smaller than the bridge springs.

Of course you will crack the pickguard if you over-tighten - springs or no springs.

14. I apologize for coming off like I thought you're a total tard. The level of total-tardness is quite high throughout the internet, I guess I'm just jaded.

Anyway, I find it weird that you would have springs. All I have are little rubber washer things. Mine are most definitely not adjustable. Weird that it'd be different since 1998, I was under the impression that Rick had stopped screwing around for the most part.

--jeff