1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rikenbackers the current dealio, would you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tajue17, Mar 15, 2008.

1. I had one 24yrs ago bought it for 450.00 used and it had worn frets and I didn't know crap about bass but I'm pretty sure I really liked it.. loaned it to a friend who was in a battle of the bands and wanted to use it because cliff burton used one and they where a metallica cover band doing the kill-em all album there.

anyway kid got too drunk and forgot he brought that bass and forgot it at the venue and its gone now..

thats my story,, but after diggin out the old ripper I started wanting that Ric again and checked the prices on MF and holy smoke 1950.00,,, I'm seriously curious because they have a new neck and push/pull pot now but they look cool to me,,, would many of you buy one of these for 2 grand? I was thinking of 1000.00 for a used one but even used these suckers are at least 1500 now????

I didn't want to jump in to that HUGE rick thread so I kept it simple and did my own...

thanks for any opinions..

and I cannot find or play one anywhere,,,, unless someone local to Mass has one I can meet up with and check out..

2. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    You are definitely going to get various opinions on this. These are the current prices and that's that. I had one and liked it a lot but that was before the big jump in price. For me it is not worth $2000 but that is my opinion. I don't mean that it's not worth $2000 for someone who wants that specific tone. Maybe you should get before they are $2500!

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I understand the hike in price. Why should Mr. Hall be selling NEW basses for less than they were going for used on Ebay? People couldn't get new ones, so they started paying inflated prices on Ebay for used ones. More demand than supply.

They just don't make enough 4003's to keep up with demand. Raising the price will slow down the demand, and let Rickenbacker get caught up on their backlog.

Do I like this? NO! I don't, because I WAS in the market for one, however I do understand the reasoning behind the increase. That said, I won't be buying a Rickenbacker any time soon, or at least untill the used market gets back to where it should be. Nice basses, but just not worth that kind of coin to me personaly.

4. yeah ***,,,was it 2-yrs ago they where 1099 at MF? what happend with the jump,, is there some bass player out there that got real big and thats what he plays??

OR maybe the boutique basses like custom choppers are getting a bit old and ric's (maybe thunderbirds) really are the only vintage original bass still around now other than the same ole same ole fender styles and epiphone vintage gibson styles..

yeah I'd put money down that they will be even more money soon..

edit--> good point savit you posted just before I did..

5. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    Rickenbacker can pretty much charge whatever they want for their instruments. They sell everything they can build and have long lead times for some models (I've heard as long as two years).

IMO, Ricks are built to very high quality standards and have probably been under priced given the demand.

I have a love/hate relationship with Rick basses. On one hand, I love how they sound and look, but I've never gotten comfortable playing one.

FWIW, I don't see Rickenbacker -ever- getting rid of the backlog.

6. I think that the recentish price hike popped Rics onto the wrong side of the price/performance ratio, myself. They're still cool and well worth the previous price, but at this point, I've flushed any plans I might have had for buying one. I may do the second-hand thing at some point, but even then I find the market to be a little hot -- especially as I could never justify a Ric as my go-to bass because I wouldn't like the sound for everything. I just can't get past the niche aspect of the sound.

But if someone was to throw a 4005 at me, I'd grab rather than duck...

7. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    I have a 4003 that I bought used in 1986 for $350. I"m with you, I can't believe what they go for now. I liked their tone versatility back then but play P's and J's now. I still like to take it out and play it now and again. If I was you try to get a used one and see if it still is what you like before dropping $ on a new one.

8. Been playing Rics since 1969....always had one. I think that John "may" have stepped a little far out on the proverbial limb this time however. It IS a rather HUGE price increase....but would I buy another one if mine was suddenly gone?

You Bet! In a New York minute! I mean it's a personal thing for some....me, it's Rock and Roll personified. That's about it for me. Rics and Fenders.....they get the job done.

Good luck with your decision

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think they are well worth the $1000 they were going for two years ago. They are definitely not worth the $2000 they are going for now. At least not to me.

10. thanks for the decent comments,,, a 1000 too much I agree so we'll wait around and see what happens out there...