Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIM Custom Basses (UK)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcdade, Dec 27, 2005.

1. mcdade

mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    Hi All,

Names Robbie(29) from the UK,this might be a bit cheeky of me putting this thread up.Ive just started building basses in my spare time,Im a Toolmaker by trade and a keen bassist.So last year I thought I'd make my own singlecut fretless,since that bass was made I have commissioned two other custom 4 string basses and in january I start work on a 6 string fretless.I will also have a website up by the end of Jan.Please check out some of the pics and get back to me with your views on the Basses.

[​IMG]

Tom's Custom Vega 4,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Craig's custom 4,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    let me be the first to tell you that there are all sorts of inappropriate jokes just waiting to be made based off of the name.

:eek:

(pretty interesting basses, btw. nice to see that headstock on a bass not by wish! :p )

3. mcdade

mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
  4. mcdade

mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    I'd be the first to say that's a good Rim job,but Im gonna stick with it.At least we can all have a laugh about it,maybe I'll get lots of orders from gay bassists.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well now that you pointed it out, I can't make the joke! :spit:

Very cool basses, I love the first one in the thread.

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Nice work man....crazy little single cut!
    Good luck & Peace

7. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    do you do custom designs? Or are these your designs.

I like the first and second one the best, the third is just a little too sharp for me.

Greg

8. I like the 2nd one alot. Something flows about it.

The first one is an incredibly cool design as well, I love the pickup covers. I'm just not big on single-cuts.

9. these basses are impressive. what are your prices like?

10. Hey they look great!! i really like the look of the fretless how much are you gonna sell them for (if you dont mind me asking)??

11. mcdade

mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    Hi All,

So far the two basses that ive built for Tom and Craig have been there body designs from sketches and my added input into the shape,they both are very happy with there basses.
    As far as price goes well Im currently building custom 4 string basses from £1100 up depending on spec and 5 and 6 strings will be extra

I will be building a 6 string fretless in the new year with the following spec,

3 Piece thru neck Bubinga/Purpleheart/Bubinga
    Dyed Black tulipwood veneers between stringers
    Macassar Ebony Fretboard (Lined with maple and purpleheart)
    Custom RIM slotted headstock with Ebony facing
    Bubinga wings
    Asian Ebony Top
    [​IMG]

Aero K series pickups

[​IMG]

Passive wiring
    Oil finish

Total £1200