Rinat Ibragimov plays Bach's 3rd cello suite in G

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by thedbassist, Jul 28, 2009.

1. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006

What do you think?

2. That's a cool baroque bow he's playing with. very nice performance.

3. Andrew Grandahl

Andrew Grandahl

Sep 11, 2007
    Boston
    Fantastic.

4. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks for the link! Rinat is the man. Very interesting baroque bow and hold.

5. ADissen

ADissen

Oct 5, 2008
    Baltimore MD
    +1 Thanks for posting the link

6. That's very nice. Thanks for the link.

His fingering selections seem completely musically motivated. I always see people playing across the strings so much on the suites. It helps keep things in tune but isn't always the most musical way of doing it.

7. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Superb!

Just waiting for someone to say it would be better with vibrato....

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Its a sad state when this beautiful piece of music gets close to 300 views, while "Jizz in my Pants" gets 57 million...:(

9. futurebass77

futurebass77

Aug 2, 2007
    +1

couldn't have said it better myself

10. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    Well, its only been up for a couple days. Give it some time and maybe it will get to the millions someday.:p

It's also pretty cool when you find videos like this that ARE in the millions. I was watching a video of Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic performing Beethoven 9, and noticed over 4 million views! :bassist:

11. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006
    He does play the suite with vibrato, he's just judicious(I think) about where he uses it.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I really like it without.

13. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    Actually, back in the baroque time period, the use of vibrato on string instruments hadn't been developed yet. So, not much use of vibrato on the bach cello suites would actually be more accurate to the time period in which the suites were composed. If you listen to Edgar Meyer's recordings of the bach cello suites, he doesnt use vibrato at all. I'm not saying that its wrong to use vibrato on these pieces, but rather just be tasteful where you use it and mind the style in which it was meant for. I think Rinat does a great job of that. I also find it interesting to hear the great range of interpretations from player to player.

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Thats what I was getting at. I really enjoy Bach's pieces more for their straight up style.

15. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Francesco Geminiani published a treatise in 1751, basically one year after Bach's death, where he advocated the use of continuous vibrato, not just ornamental as Leopold Mozart advocated. Geminiani was not a revolutionary, in his treatise he outlined techniques that were not "advanced" for his time.

Vibrato is fine. Continuous vibrato is fine.

16. basshog

basshog

Nov 29, 2008
    1) Great performance. I'm glad the baroque bow is getting some lovin' on the bass and Bach.
    2) If you go through the trouble to use the old bow, bowings, the right notes from the manuscripts, and no vibrato, then why would you throw in a stylistic turd and gliss all over the place? Take those out and it goes from great to flat out wonderful!

17. basshog

basshog

Nov 29, 2008
    Close. Vibrato was used, but as an ornament, much different to the continuous wiggling of today. Re: Edgar, his lack of vib is more because he never vibratos. Name me a tune on any recording in which he does and I'll give you a nickel. It also works out well for the Bach!

18. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Perhaps we should open a new thread.

Basshog, I will respectfully disagree with you, no offense meant.

-as I mention in my previous post, there is hard evidence from Geminiani that continuous vibrato was used.

-because there were no recording devices, there is no evidence whatsoever that their vibrato was different to our "continuous wiggling"

19. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    Have you heard Edgar's performance of the Bottesini Concerto?

My bad....thanks for the correction.

20. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    incredible.

if you haven't heard it. check out gary karr playing this piece.