Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ring and Pinky fingers are weak.. help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassAddict05, May 10, 2005.

1. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    ive been playing for about 10 months now, im pretty ok I would say. That ryhemd. I can slap pretty good but now i want to go into the nice walking bass lines. My ring and pinky fingers are preventing me from doing this as it gets kind of hard and i have to use my index and middle fingers for some parts when i shouldnt, any help would be nice, thanks.

2. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Practice scales using some consistent fingering... either one finger per fret or 1-2-4 (using the pinky and ring finger together) in the lower register. After some practice this will become second nature. Simandl book 1 would work for drilling disciplined fingerings and positions shifts - it's pretty boring and unmusical though, someone can probably recommend something better.

3. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    There's a pretty good book called 'Bass Fitness' that has lots of useful exercises for moving across the fingerboard in every possible permutation - I'm just starting out and I find it useful!

10-15 mins a day of these exercises should help build up strength. Practicing scales will also help (dull, I know!)

The more you use the weak fingers, they will get slowly stronger.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    See the "One Finger Per Fret" thread in the TECHNIQUE Forum(initiated by MinorPentatonic).

Personally & FME, just playing scales ain't gonna do it. I practiced scales for years & only cleaned up my technique when I forced myself to go back & do the boring stuff I posted in the above-mentioned thread.

5. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, all the lessons by Wayne Grant are great! Definetly worth your time to sit down and work them out as best you can. I have a lesson on there too, maybe you will find it helpful. It's not really walking bass but if you play these like I play it you'll be using all 4 fingers especially the pinkie and ring finger.
    http://www.activebass.com/cgi-bin/page_view.pl?l=15356&p=1&a=0
    :)

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Harmony Central
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/
    has a wealth of information on instruction, reviews, etc.

Based on personal experience, I would certainly work on scales and warm up exercises to build dexterity and strength in your fingers..not as exciting as slap, but @ 10 months, I was trying to learn notes.

Good luck!

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I saw Billy Sheehan at a clinic a few years ago and he does an exercise on intervals. He goes across the fingerboard once on each string from one finger to the next, so he would go index finger to middle on all strings of the bass, then index to ring, then index to pinky. Next would be middle to ring, middle to pinky, then finally ring to pinky(which even he had some difficulty with and he'd been doing this exercise quite a few years.)

I don't actually do this exercise, but your question made me remember it.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist: