Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ring finger on left hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Does anyone else hand a ring finger thatr doesnt work properly? Normaly i just work around it and use other fingers but when i play fast stuff like maxwell murders solo my ring finger sometimes wont go fast enough :scowl:

Is there any exercises or something that might get my ring finger good?

EDIT: when i say left hand i mean my fretting hand

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    While everyone's hands are different, I would guess that the ring finger on the non-dominate hand is the weakest of the lot. I have to work at it.

The exercise that is use is to tap the 1st and 2nd finger of the left hand in a stead rhythm/speed. Then try to match that with the 2nd and ring finger. Also try to match that speed with the ring finger and 4th finger. You don't even need your bass to do that and its great for rides on public transit, waiting in offices or whatever.

Use this same idea with all different combinations of fingers and sequences.

It's taken me years to get it going.... and if I don't practice this, then it takes only a few weeks to lose it.

4. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    thanks for all the help. ninefingerbass i havent quite cracked the maxwell murders solo yet, i play with my fingers at the correct speed but my left hand just lets me down

5. dean5master

dean5master

Feb 20, 2005
    thats funny my ring finger is probbably the strongest on my fretting hand.....i have problems with my middle finger