Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ring finger?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Apr 22, 2001.

1. I was looking at my fingers today, and I noticed that I was playing with my index finger and my ring finger, as opposed to my middle finger. Is that normal, is that how other people play, I always thought that it was index and middle, not ring?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in what way do you mean? fretting or plucking hand?

3. I suppose that it might be easier to use your ring and index finger. They're a lot closer to the same length than the index and middle.

I use all three on occasion. Especially for fingerstyle techniques. It's good practice to try using your index and ring, index and middle, middle and ring fingers when practicing. That way, if you ever have an accident with one of your fingers, ( e.g. flipped off a biker ) you can still play.

But seriously, being able to use all three of those fingers equally well would be a big advantage for playing triplets and will improve your technique in general.

Some people advocate the use of the pinky too! The thumb goes without saying. Great for funk or plucking the low notes while your fingerstylin' the other notes.

You may want to get used to doing index and middle. The closer your fingers are together, the more consistant the sound. It's subtle but I can hear the difference between plucking with the index and middle fingers. Mostly in the higher harmonics.

- Dave

4. I started out with index and middle like most people, but early on I decided to work on index middle and ring. I guess after a while I progressed into index and ring most of the time without even noticing it for a really long time.

Those 2 fingers worked perfectly fine, but I decided to put a little work into using the middle finger and I'm back up to three.. just for the sake of having all three more than anything I guess. :)

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Why not use all of them? (resemblance to a song? Nah!)

Anyway; using index and third is OK. So is using your thumb and pinky!
    The thing is, the more fingers you learn to use, the more opportunities you get. Being able to play 5-fingers, will add the possibility to play "classic guitar"-style, i.e. anything ('cuz you can play all "bass-styles" with three!)

Ain't that a vision?;)

PS And what about 5-finger fretting as well? :) DS