1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ring mod/pitch mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by megadan, Apr 23, 2010.

1. So I've been racking my brain lately trying to figure out what I could need to complete my pedal board. Really I have everything covered that I can think of: tuning, octave, fuzz, filter, od, modulation, delay.

The only thing I have been thinking about that I could use is a ring mod, but... of course, it's a hard effect to make work, especially in a band context. Luckily I am in a noise band right now and I think I could make it work. However it seems every pedal has some draw back that precludes it's use on my board:

-EHX Frequency Analzyer - top of my list, the only thing that kills it is the 40V power supply. I run everything off of a daisy chain and I don't have anywhere to add extra power adaptors.

-Moog MF-102 - my other top choice and I've almost pulled the trigger a few times. I really like the LFO section. Problem is the size, poor bypass (though I have a clean blend pedal), and power supply (reverse polity which from what I understand doesn't play nice on a daisy chain). It's also quite large!

Other than that everything else seems to be a niche product. The ZVex doesn't interest me, and the Copilot is a very dirty ring mod, isn't it?

Is there anything like the Moog (LFO)? What about the new EHX Ring Thing? It looks nice but it's new and i haven't heard a lot from bassists using it.

I guess atm it's between the Moog and the Ring thing, but they are both very expensive and hard to find used. It's a lot to pay for a niche effect... but the Ring Thing may have more use than just ring mod?

Thoughts? :confused:

2. I LOVE my moog...but yeah, the bypass/power issue kinda sucks. I want to eventually get a loopmaster bypass switcheroo thingy to make it better. But the possibility for noise generation is endless~!!!!

3. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    There's also the Catalinbread Heliotrope and the Co-pilot Android or Antenna. Both have been pretty well reviewed on TB, are smaller and run on standard Boss-type power.

http://www.tonefactor.com/products.php?cat=161

Edit: Just saw you're down on the Co-pilot. I'm not familiar with it, but maybe the Android runs cleaner.

As to the Ring Thing, it looks great. Standard power, programmable, and I love EHX. But, as with any new pedal, I'd wait for some reviews and clips to start showing up.

4. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I didn't find the Android to be dirty. It was a good, standard ring mod tone to me. But I would definitely recommend that you get one of the later 4-knob Androids, over the first 2-knob ones. This will get you the master volume and mix knobs.

The Antenna is probably what you're thinking of, as that is dirtier and also does some sample-rate reduction.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Some notes:

The Copilot Android is great at it's price point but it isn't incredibly versatile and doesn't do a "clean" ringmod tone (that bell like chiming) very well.

The Heliotrope is a fun box but different in that it only subtracts the combined signal (input and carrier) rather than also adding it. Along with the fuzz control it gets a lot of interesting sounds but it won't do tremolo or the siren like tones of other ring mods.

The Moog is incredibly versatile, sounds great as a tremolo, and can deliver craziness when desired and has expression control of any number of parameters including the frequency and LFO control. It's big and not great bypass (but not as awful as some make it out to be) but a great ring mod.

The new XO Frequency Analyzer looks great. I wish it took 9V and had expression control of frequency but otherwise it seems perfect for use on bass.

I haven't had a ring mod for a while but I think the Fairfield Electronics Randy's Revenge will be my next one.

6. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    BTW - Adam from Copilot will happily make an Android with expression control of any parameter you like

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    The EHX Frequency Analyzer is really good on bass, especially with the filter mode. It replaced the Frostwave Blue Ringer on my board, which is really saying something considering the awesome quality of that one. It doesn't do tremolo, and the power supply sounds like an issue to you, but I would still recommend it. Great as a niche effect since it's pretty cheap.

With those two I have zero need for any other ring mods, but some day I'll be looking into the Moog and Randy's Revenge. I had the Z.Vex Ringtone and Copilot Android, didn't really dig on either one (Z.Vex was only useful for sequence effects, and the Android was too dirty for me).

8. Maybe that's what I was thinking of... I'll check it out again. Thanks.

I'm not totally opposed to dirt if it's an interesting sound, I'd rather have an interesting dirty effect than a boring clean one.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    FWIW, the Frantone Glacier (Fran's update on the old Frequency Analyzer) is really good too but very expensive and I personally couldn't justify the cost.

10. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    Making ears bleed since 1989
    Get a Moog. It is amazing for making noise, and what i like best - musical noise. It is really easy to use (unlike many other pedals with many options), and you will find use for it in band very fast. Think about geting expression pedal if you buy it, it really adds many possibilities and sonic space to explore.

11. i love my moog and find the ring mod to have the best bypass and noise floor (lowest) of all the moogerfoogers.

that said i used to own a vintage ehx frequency analyzer and you can't go wrong there either.

12. Can you go into some detail about the difference between these two? Thanks...

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Sure. The EHX has a limited frequency range, which, along with the Fine knob, really allows one to dial in the exact pitch that you want the carrier frequency to be. The Filter mode kills the upper note and boosts the lower one, which is nice to create some neat subharmonic type of stuff. I don't like the blend on this one because there is no volume control, but it isn't exactly problematic either.

The Frostwave has a frequency response well beyond the range of human hearing, in both directions. The only drawback to this is that it can be hard to dial in the carrier frequency, but that is the only negative about this pedal (well, the stupid footswitch placement and always-on LED are annoying, but not the end of the world in either case). If you want multiple inputs, level control, an excellent blend, CV input, the best tremolo I've ever heard, and plus the Oh I'm So Cool factor of owning a rare piece, then this is the one to get. Or perhaps the Moog, which is what I would replace this one with were it ever to become dislodged from my person.

14. It looks like a have a trade pending for the Moog! Unexpectedly. So we'll see how it works! I have this strange fear that once I get one Moogerfooger pedal I won't be able to stop until I have them all....

15. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Anyone tried the new EHX Ring Thing?

16. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO

If the OP doesn't try this one, I don't know how to help him/her. Inteligent PS/RM that has auto tuning? Come on.
    Perfect.

I am gassing for this HARD>>>>>>>>> hard.

17. I know, I know I want the ring thing! But I couldn't pass up a trade deal for the Moog. If it doesn't work out I can always flip it for the Ring Thing.

18. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The Moog is really good. Make sure you have an expression pedal (or two) with it to get the most out of it.

19. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Do it. :ninja:

The Ring Thing being a pitch shifter (ala whammy) with expression pedal in is the deal maker for me.
    Well, that and the auto-tuning ring mod.
    wow. just.... wow.

20. autopilot

autopilot

Apr 25, 2007
    yep the android is more lofi sounding than the ehx and the moog. I'm releasing in may the planetoid a ring mod that will do clean and dirty ring mod tones, plus it have a carrier suppression when you arent playing, the video demo hopefully will be done this weekend.