ring probe idea...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, Apr 14, 2003.

1. ok, a friend of a friend makes effects, and he wants people to give him jacked up ideas, just to see if he can build it.

i'm gonna hit him with the idea of a ring modulator with a theremin type control on it... kinda like zvex's probe series. but i would rather have the theremin plate on a stand so i could control it with the head of my bass.

a few questions:

1-do you think it will work?

2-would anyone else use it? i know i would.

3-any other stupid effects you wish were out there?

i'm bored, and looking for ideas.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got lots of stupid ideas.

Tell him to make a random tremolo. Or, instead of random, have it do unusual rhythmic sequences based on mystical numbers, like that Avogadro one, or Pi.

Or a filter that changes pitch w/ intensity instead of envelope.

Or a distortion w/ lots of eq knobs, like 12. I guess this would be like a distortion plus graphic eq or notch filter.

Or make a pedal plus light show. Have lasers shoot out of the box to your rhythm.

All of these must run on chlorophyll. :D :bassist:
  3. is it ok if i build it out of bologna?

i like the idea of too many tone knobs. but i was just going to build a distortion into the body of one of my old basses.

by the way... the H key is sticking on this computer.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have a controllable ring mod, the Lovetone Ringstinger. It's great. It's also really big. Zvex stuff fits on my pedalboard better.

I own 7 Zvex pedals, and I'm hard pressed to come up with something more bizarre than what he already makes. Hmmm..... how about a synth with therimin control? Like a EH microsynth mixed with a whammy pedal?

Sorry about your "H", Crotch Grab. I find that violence is the solution for everything. Grab yourself a hammer and go to work.