1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ring Thing, too thingy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nextdimension, Aug 15, 2012.

1. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Got the EHX Ring Thing a few weeks ago, mostly for the pitch shifter on it. But I also thought it would be cool to play around with the modulation functions as well. The problem is I can't seem to find a good tone on it that isn't detuned.
    I've never played with a ring mod before but I realized quickly that it can change your note. So while setting up some presets I just ran it into my tuner to make sure I was in tune still. I found that every time I found a nice dirty, synthy sound, I was out of tune. Sometimes I would tweek it until it was in tune but then as I started playing other notes they would not be in tune.
    Is this just the nature of ring mods? Is it always gonna sound bad when I play with my guitarist? I know this thing has a tuning button that will automatically tune to your incoming signal, but this totally changes your tone that you set up and goes out of tune as soon as you play any other notes unless you push it again. Is this just the nature of the beast or am I doing something wrong?
    Like I said I bought the pedal for the pitch shifter and I'm happy with that and I've found I can add a little bit of modulation to it without messing it up. So I will probably keep the pedal. But it would be nice to use the ring part of the ring thing.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't used the Ring Thing specifically, but ring mods in general operate by multiplying your instrument signal with a fixed-frequency signal, and that absolutely does make everything sound "wrong" or "out of tune" or like your note was "changed". IOW even if the Thing's pitch tracking circuit does what it is supposed to, it is still controlling a device that inherently screws with your notes.

3. CptRevell

CptRevell

Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    It creates dissonant, but thick bass lines, especially combined with other pedals.

I've always had more luck with them on synths than basses though.

4. nextdimension

nextdimension

Jan 30, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Gotcha, well at least I can use the pitch shift. Maybe I'll play with it more when I get my solo Drum and Bass thing off the ground. It's harder to tell your out of tune when it's just you.

5. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    If you hold down that Tune switch, it automatically follows your monophonic line.

Of the ring modulators I've tried, my favorite is the tracking ring mod in the Pigtronix Mothership pedal. It allows you to choose the kind of dissonance you like... and then will automatically track the input note and apply that kind of dissonance across the board.

Monophonically, of course.