Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ringin' Stringin' Issues

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Yoseph, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Hey y'all,

I am a newbie bassist with only about a month of diligent daily practice under my belt, but I'm already getting very comfortable with my bass. (the good thing is, i love every minute of playing it!)

Being self taught, I'm just picking up bits and pieces of my favourite funk/groove tunes by ear, while making my own stuff up too. My problem is that when I play, I find my open strings ring a bit and mud up my tone. It is most probably my technique. I usually rest my right-hand ring finger on the low E string when pluckin the A string but when I play on the G or E strings, I run out of fingers to mute the A string.

Same with when I slap, even though I mute every string except the one I'm playing, sometimes I'll still be touching an open harmonic which will come through annoyingly.

At this point, what i'm doing is slowing down what I play to a point that's almost ridiculous and muting everything with both hands and great deliberation.

The last thing I want to do is learn bad technique.

Tips?