Ringing Horn. SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan_G, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I have a golliath III and the tweeter rings a little at higher volumes. It still produces clean sounds along with the ringing, so I don't think its blown. I took it apart and everything looked pretty good. The ringing sounds mechanical, but there doesn't seem to be anything vibrating. Is the horn shot?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Mine doesn't ring! I've been gyped! :crying:

3. basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    exactly what are you calling "ringing?"
    what does this "ringing" sound like? ( and don't say "ringing please. find another synonym for it.)
  4. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Like a metallic buzzing, fairly high pitched. I don't actually know that the horn is causing it, but I do know that when I turn the horn completely down the noise stops, and its only at louder volumes.
  5. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I always thought (and still think) SWR's hi-pass filter point for tweeters is a bit too low as I hear them harshing often. Maybe 1Khz up would solve this (just MY opinion based on MY tastes treble-wise).

6. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

SWR uses (or used to use) a capacitor to clean the lows out of the tweet, although there are those that think the cap is unnecessary I have found that without it you hear that harsh ringing sound.
    Change the value up or down, the ringing harshness is the piezo element trying to reproduce a frequency that it cannot.
    The cap value in my Basic Black is 4uf ... try a 3uf or a 2uf,
    and see if the crap doesn't disappear.
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the tweeter is a piezo a 4uf cap wouldn't alter the high-pass frequency unless there is a resistor wired in parallel with the tweeter to present a resisitive load to the capacitor. If that is the case you'd alter the high pass frequency by changing the resistor value, not the cap.

If the element is piezo and there is a very low value cap wired in series with it, 1uF or less, that cap is an attenuator, and a lower value would lessen the sensitivity of the tweeter circuit.

On the other hand if the tweeter element is a dynamic and all it has for a filter is a cap then it should be replaced with at least a 3rd order high pass filter, in which case the crossover point could actually be lowered.

Either way curing the problem isn't possible without knowing exactly what's in there to begin with.
  8. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    So your saying every golliath III has this, because the crossover design is too low? I'm doubtfull.