Ringo dragging on original let it be recording?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 22, 2003.

1. I've been listening to let it be a few times, and i notice this unsettling feeling where it seems that ringo's dragging with his ride cymbal bits every so often, like he delays too long a couple times.

I'm just being nitpicky, but i was wondering if you've ever noticed that.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was listening to old jaco stuff and playing along, and everything I played(yes I tuned beforehand) was sharp.

often times on old recordings tracks get a little bit messed up, it is very possible that the drum tracks got messed up a little, and that they choke at points do to the methods of recording.

*shrug* or ringo messed up :meh:
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I saw Ringo last year, he was fine.

You assume recording technology in 1969 is the same as it is now.

It wasn't. Not in the same quantum.

So the tech's weren't perfect.

They did ok.

Nobody on the PLANET is cooler than Ringo.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Miles Davis' Kind of Blue has been flat for almost 30 years.

I think Ringo dragged on alot of stuff. But that was part of his charm.
  5. Thor

You're probably right, I watched disk 5 and disk 6 of the Anthology set over the weekend, and Ringo himself states that around late 1965 they were playing ' like sh*t'. I don't think he was totally at fault either, many of the venues they played they had their new specially designed Vox 100 watts amps, that then were hooked into the stadium PA. Many people have said that the music for the films [ concert videos ] was overdubbed as the tracks simply could not be heard on tape.

I suppose it is difficult live if you can hear nothing but one loud scream. As far as the recordings go, I'll have to go back to the record and listen for it. It wasn't so bad that iever struck me, and I'm a bit sensitive to that stuff, as are many of us.

Thanks for pointing this out.
  6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    They claimed to have solved the pitch problem on the latest remaster. You should pick it up, its worth it just for the alternate take of Flamenco Sketches.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

to correct you (as usual) - i'm cooler than Ringo! ;) :D
  8. Thor

You may have to spend Tuesday on my Ignore list
    unless you modify your wanton ways!

Don't tell me. You are at 'work' again!

Some job!

Cooler than RINGO!? I bet you like Engelbert Humperdink !
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Meatloaf - ssshhhhhh!!!!
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, ferret boys, knock off the chat room stuff. Be good, mmkay?:)
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't think it's dragging as such, just keeping a behind the beat feel.
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

:D ;)
  13. I think everyone, including Ringo would agree that he wasn't a GREAT drummer.

I do believe that he was a genius unto himself for knowing what little drum bits to add to a Beatle song to help it, yet not be in the way. You just couldn't have a drummer like Keith Moon for a Beatle tune.

Also, I always thought that the Stones sounded the best when they played just slightly off key...maybe its a blues thing.

You can go into a modern day recording studio and record digitally, and record perfectly....and lose a lot of warmth and charm. I think that is why a number of top engineers record digitally, mix to tape (analog) before mastering back to digital. Sometimes perfection is not the correct way to go, or...to quote Mr Spock..."Sometimes having a thing is not so great as wanting it. It is illogical, but iut is true."
  14. I don't recall the Stones ever playing any other way!:D
  15. Thor

No wonder Mick Taylor always sounded so cr?ppy, he was the only one in tune, I never realized that!

'Charlies good tonight, aint he?'
  16. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Jeez, I hate it when this Ringo stuff pops up cause I feel I just have to comment and then I get crusified, but, what the heck, eh boys?

I personally felt Ringo couldn't play his way out of a wet paper bag and my feelings were confirmed after seeing "Ringo's Allstar Band" and watching that idiot prance around on stage yelling "whats my name?" after every other song (on drums, his kid, Zak, played ringos around the old man).

He didn't inspire me in '64 and I still think he'd do better as a roadie if the scrawny little bugger could lift a 4/10 speaker cab up to the business end of a truck.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I miss those "imperfections" that gave musicians and recordings character, and style. Digital is just a canvas. These days it seems that the production companies have tried to "digitize" the musician as well.

The result as expected, is an antiseptic wasteland of banality and sameness in most pop. Gone is the regional sounds and style, the styles of individual musicians, and most importantly, the culture.

Am I jaded and old? Yep.
  18. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
  19. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Interesting to know the Beatles were human afterall :D

Little things like those give music so much character. Just wouldn't be the same anyway else!
  20. Laker wrote:

Ah, but he WAS better than Pete Best....which might be important if you start out as a regional band with a cult following.

Then again, I'll stick to my statement....he never got in the way of a song. A habit many, many drummers, including some very successful ones, would do well to imitate.