Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rining ears..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 7, 2004.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all,

As of lately, my ears seem to be ringing whenever I'm in silent areas (or what should be silent). It really bugs me as I never band practice or even go to a gig without ear lpugs.. yet my band mates and friends can go to gigs, stand near the amps for 3 hours (not wearing ear plugs) and never mention that their ears ring in the slightest.

I've decided to go to the doc's about it as it's really getting on my nerves (to say the least!).

Any tips on what to mention at the meeting etc, or any tips on how to prevent further ringing (other than not going to the gigs! :p ).

Thanks, apologies for the vague-ish post.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It could be tinnitus (sp?) where you'll forever have constant ringing in your ears now. I'd just tell your doctor pretty much excatly what you've told us, with the addition as to when it started and such.

Ray

3. well, it could be that your friends are going deaf...you've still got sensitive ears (i'm guessing on the account of you saying that you wear hearing protection all the time) and your friends have been wearing down their ears by standing next to the PA speakers. Standing next to amps (well, actually the cabs ;)) will hurt your ears (especially for 3 hours) I can attest to that, since i did that once at a Soil concert, and i don't think i'll ever do it again...my ears rang for 3 days! of course Korn will be playing at the same place on 11/27, so maybe one more time! (this time with ear plugs!)

Charlie

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Make sure you're not near any electronic things that could emit an electric hum, ie: tv, computer, etc.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You probably have tinnitus. If so, get used to it because it ain't going anywhere. :(

It can get worse though, so you should reexamine your earplug situation. Make sure you have earplugs appropriate to what you're doing. If they're -10db plugs and you're playing in a loud heavy metal band, you really need something a lot better. If you have something a lot better, make sure you're using them properly and that they still work properly.

6. I have tinnitus and i'm 17. I've had it for nearly 2 years I think. I used to listen to music with headphones turned pretty loud, and when i got used to that loudness i'd turn it up until I couldnt notice a difference in volume.

If someone had've told me back then that it can harm me, then I would never have done it.

Me and my stupid ignorance...

Don't let it get worse, it really sucks.

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Tinnitus really sucks. I guess some people really just do have more sensitive ears. I do, and apparently so does my mother (who lost a good portion of her hearing as a direct result of Led Zeppelin. Really. :) )

Anyway, nicotine and caffeine and marijuana make the ringing worse, so avoid them, but also maybe have your blood pressure checked? Just guessing, but just to be safe...

And about the noise, well, quiet music or whatever sound can help mask it if it bugs you while you're trying to fall asleep.

8. Tinnitis can get better and even go away. If western medicine can't help you check out eastern techniques (accupuncture and reiki did it for me). I went to doctors for a few months and basically watched them shrug and tell me they don't know why they're ringing (tests showed no damage to my ears), then I went to accupuncture and noticed a *huge* difference after the first session. Yoga helped a lot too.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I used to go to very loud Rock gigs in the 70s and 80s, when my ears would ring the day after - but then it would fade gradually.

I've been more careful recently, but was in a band with a drummer who was very loud on cymbals and this made my ears ring - I thought it was going to be permanent tinnitus - but since I stopped playing with that drummer, it has faded away. :)

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had intermittent tinnitus when I first started playing live gigs. For the past four years, I've been wearing earplugs to all rehearsals and gigs (both mine and not mine) and haven't had an episode since. Fingers crossed.

As an aside, I really think people play too f***ing loud these days.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Nothing against Eastern medicine, but tinnitus caused by damage to the inner ear (ie: tinnitus caused by repeated exposure to loud volumes) does not go away. Tinnitus which is caused by things like stress, ear wax, impacted wisdom teeth, certain diseases, or any other condition that doesn't involve damage to the inner ear can go away if the problem is treated. But given that this is a bass guitar forum, I'm speculating that the tinnitus referred to by the original poster isn't one of the temporary types.

Though I'd be happy for the OP if it were. I have the type that doesn't go away and it's definitely something to avoid at all costs.

12. Ear plugs! Ear plugs! Ear plugs!

It just gets worse and worse. Protect your hearing now.

I've got tinintus, very annoying, but you get used to it. just make sure that it doesn't get worse. Don't worry what your freinds do, protect yourself. I never go to a club,concert, pratice, w/o plugs.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

hmmmmmmmmm...

I'll have to look into this.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1

I hate my guitarists/dummer. They always play practices at full volume. Never understood why, we can't hear ourselves then, it's just noise. I think they quieter you play in a band actually the more your mistakes stand out and the more work you can get done. One band I was in did all acoustic practices, well, not all. When we had a gig we'd spend a few practices with amps, but still pretty quiet so that we can hear how it'll sound and the structure etc. etc. Then at the gig we didn't blast our amps either, we just played at what would be comfortable for the room. If people wanted it louder, they'll tell ya ;).

Ray

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    It wasn't at gigs or band practices that my hearing damage was done as I always wear plugs. It was infact at clubs, all of which literally play the music twice as loud as any gig I've been to (which is saying something after you've seen Cannibal Corpse live :p ).

What's worse, for me anyway, is the fact that I am 100% OK with walking round a gig with plugs in, whereas you don't fit in so well amongst a bunch of trendy gimps bopping to some hip-hop track at a club.

:/

I guess I'm screwed, but at least 2 guitarists I know have took heed and bought themselves some plugs now.