1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Submission Rio by Duran Duran

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Hari Seldon, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon

Dec 27, 2016
    Here's my stab at Rio by the great John Taylor of Duran Duran. I used my wife's original (?) copyright 1982 CD as well as this isolated bass track to figure out a few parts. Standard notation only, no tab. If someone wants to create the tab I can provide my original MuseScore file (assuming that helps).

It should be pretty accurate, but I'm open to corrections if you want to send any my way. Some of those rhythms are hard to discern between a triplet based pattern and a dotted rhythm. Well, for me at least.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

• Rio.pdf
      File size:
      120 KB
      Views:
  2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    One of my favorite bass lines. Didn’t play through it but at a glance it looks pretty good.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon

Dec 27, 2016
    Thanks!

Looks like I forgot to copy the triplet based rhythm I settled on from the first verse to the third verse. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

4. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon

Dec 27, 2016
    Yikes, there were a couple spots where I forgot to copy all the way through. All fixed now.

LeeNunn likes this.
  5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Also one of my fav bass lines to play. Transcription looks good to me. ive not gone through it but it seems to be as i play it. Well done.

Hari Seldon likes this.
  6. Thanks for sharing with us.

7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Are you sure about those triplets?
    Somehow, I hear the second note in the measure - the first ghost pickup "X" note (out of the three ghost notes in the bar) on the A string and not on the E string.
    Anyway, a very nice transcription.

8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon

Dec 27, 2016
    I went back to that isolated Youtube track I linked to in my first post and used the feature where you can play it back at a slower speed. At 50% it sounds like it's an E to me, but I won't be offended if you play it differently. :D I did realize though, in listening to it again at that speed, that there are some really subtle ghost notes I don't have notated...but the transcription should get you 99% of the way there. (I did make a typo in the final chorus/outro that should be pretty obvious when you hit it...it's just one note though.)

9. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Great transcription. Thanks for sharing the isolated bass track. I never tire of this song.

Anyone know if Taylor played this with a pick or fingers? I always thought he played with his fingers but this sounds like it could be a pick to me.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Live in 1982-

Some nice stuff at ~58 seconds in.
    Camera guy leaves a lot to be desired.
    Taylor's fretting hand lookin' good about ~1:36.
    Also, more he uses more open strings vs. how I used to play this.

I say fingers on the recording as well...

11. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Great job on the transcription!! John adds one very subtle articulation in bars 105, 109, 113, and 117. He slides down on the last G#of each bar before accenting the F# in the next bar. It really helps drive the pulse.

I'm in an 80's cover band and we do this song almost every weekend. It took me days to figure it out only to learn I missed a few things when the isolated track became available. There's a lot going on in this song and you made a lot of bassists jobs easier in the future.

Bravo!

ErikP.Bass likes this.