1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rio - Duran Duran is kicking my butt.. Anyone else jam this tune

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Funky bassline and quite quick LOL..

I figured it would be a good line for me to learn since I dont employ to many fast licks in my normal music..

Man I need to work on speed more often this song is kicking my butt..

I started learning it at around 9pm EST tonight and this is what I got so far its 2.5 hours later....

BE WARNED there is some sour notes here and there and some off tempo stuff especially in the chorus that little run is so fast..

http://www.ibanezpodxt.com/Misc/Rio.mp3

2. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

Kudos! That wasnt bad at all...its a tough groove

3. I play it on the keyboard...hehe!
    Really John Taylor kicks bAss when it comes to that bass...I play My Own Way and whoah! I am still learning how to play!!!
    Your version sounds great! I liked it!!

4. That's pretty dang good! You nail the tone well so it's hard to tell which is the real track which is you.

For me, the really tough part about that bassline is all the ghost notes. My problem is getting them in as subtlely as JT does and still keep time and make it to the next change in time! :meh:

I can get through the entire song pretty well (noodled around with it before a recording session with a drummer and guitarist a few weeks ago), but I'm just playing the main notes of the riff and skipping all the quick ghost\grace notes that JT so skillfully and subtly places here and there!

Hate to admit it, but I had to resort to TAB when learning this one and it noted those ghost\grace notes.

Can't move my fingers that fast AND soft. I have a lot of work to do on my touch.:(

BTW - it's no wonder it's funky bassline as Chic and Bernard Edwards was a big influence of his. Plus Nile produced that record and YES JT plays that bass line live (watch the live concert video from 'Arena' circa 1986). :D

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Now all you need is the rest of a band and you'd have it all ;)

6. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    video of Rio by me..

7. I got that video!!! I used to be a HUGE Durannie back in the day!! I used to "imatate" John Taylor to that concert, by rigging up a yardstick and acting like I was playing bass! :bassist:

8. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Cool beans. Been playing that song for 20 years. Its a great line for speed, ghost notes, and groove. My band plays it once and a while. My drummer gets going so fast its hard for me to play it properly but I manage. LOL

Rob

10. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The 80's had some great basslines :)

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I play it with a big band when we get together for occasional gigs, it's a fun line. The way our trumpet player scored it out was a gross over simplification, so I copped it off the record. Last time we played it, he counted it in way too fast, so I played most of it in a blind panic, staring at the drummer and mouthing "Ease down! Ease down!" He just got excited and carried on regardless. By the end of the tune it was at least 20% too quick. I nearly died. :D

12. The Ram

The Ram

Jul 8, 2008

"Rio" was the first bass line I ever learned and I agree that the ghost notes are the hard parts otherwise "Rio" is pretty easy. I've recently had to re-learn it though as I was being very selective with what ghost notes I chose to play lol But once you get the hang of it you reach the point of no return and it actually keeps you in time. It's a great song as well.

13. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    I just started working on Rio two nights ago. Got the verses for the most part, tho still sloppy. The chorus is getting close, the sax solo I have to still work through. It is a slightly different chord progression and I just loose my way.

14. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Well redid this song again trying to incorporate a 3 finger technique in the verse and the breakdown towards the end..

Getting used to using 3 fingers versus 2 is hard but if I can develop it especially on this tune it will really help..

http://www.ibanezpodxt.com/Misc/Rio3Finger.mp3

The slide at 3:43 is fricking awesome tone... I love it... Well I like my tone as is but man that slide is growly...

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021