1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rio Grande Muy Grande P/J set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GlennW, Jun 24, 2007.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    A while back I got some P-bass pickups off ebay. One of the deals was a Muy Grande P/J set which I bought for the P pickup.

This morning on a lark I stuck the J in an Ibanez TR70 which has the P/J pickup configuration and the unknown roundwonds which were on it when I got it.

I like it, a lot.

The only hang is you need short mounting screws or little sleeves for regular length screws because the mounting holes are only in the the ears of the bottom bobbin. The top bobbin is earless and the pickup has no cover (made that way).

Haven't tried the Muy Grande P pickup yet, but I have a feeling I will soon.

Edit:
    Sooner than I thought so I changed the title.. The P pickup was a big improvement, but my favorite sound out of the pair is the J with the tone knob in the 0-2 range although it has useable tone throughout. The P does add a dimension to the sound because it's so much more bassy sounding. Everything's just wirenutted in now. When I start to solder stuff the J knob system will have to go. I know many like it, but I like a switch as opposed to playing with two volume knobs. I think it'll end up with a 3-way switch and two tone knobs.

The J pickup is a keeper - don't know about the P, but it'll do for now.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used a set of those in a 1 pc Ash G&l JB-2. The bass itself was really brite. Hi mass bridge, maple neck, Swamp ash. Major ZING from that one. The rio's knocked a lot of that down. In that particular bass I thought it worked out really well. In general those pickups would be too dark for my taste though.

The rio is a good example of what bug's me about passive, hi output pickups. They lose upper mids and hi end detail in favor of whompin' low end. For my uses a more balanced pickup lets me go more places as you can't add detail that isn't in your signal, you can however remove it (by eq'ing at the amp.)

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The P pickup is definately on the bassy side, but I think a lot of that just comes from the split coil design. One of these days I'd like to try a low DCR P pickup with a series/parallel switch. I'm very happy with the J. Of course, all that could go out the window with a string change.

I started this thread because I'd searched for them before and didn't find much.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021