Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rio grande pickups? anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Jul 18, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ohh those sound nice. Not as clear as the EMGs, but those EMGs sounded really clacky. Those Pitbulls have much more punch to them.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Pitbulls are incredible. Great pickups. Much more full, punchy, and warmer than my previous EMGs. True, they don't quite have the upper end sizzle that the EMGs did, but I'm finding I don't miss that in the least.

I understand the Pitbulls sound just like their standard P pickup.

5. Well, from your recordings, the EMGs seemed to lack a lot of low end crunch, I'd say. The Rio Grandes sounded much deeper and warmer, fuller is a good word. Sounded pretty good.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just did my first recording with them recently; check out the song in my signature. It's kind of metal-ish, but you can hear how the Pitbulls sounded when thrown up against a bunch of guitars, drums, keyboards, vocals, and samples from Tron.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd look into them, but I don't see any 5 string humbuckers that'll fit an EMG 40 shaped hole. :(