1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rio Grande Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Super_Donut_Man, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Super_Donut_Man

Super_Donut_Man

Sep 9, 2005
    Rio Grande Pickups

So I was looking into getting a Warmoth, and was looking over their pickup selection, and came across Rio Grande, one particular one, the Powerbucker, caught my eye. So I searched high and low for reviews/info and came up with nothing.

I saw reviews of the P and J pups, and they were aparently awesome. So I figured P/J config, which is one of the sets sold by Warmoth. I asked around at Harmony Central, and got a few responses on the P/J config, and it seemed not too good... Hollow was the term used. But as to whether that was because it was with SX stock electronics, or wired wrong or or they just don't work good together, I do not know.

I searched here and came up with the powerbucker and pitbull, but nothing really that informative.

Anybody here have tried a p/j setup, or ANY of these pickups?

Thanks

2. Super_Donut_Man

Super_Donut_Man

Sep 9, 2005
    Really.... Nothing?

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I had the Muy Graine P and J bridge. They were pretty good, if you like aggressive, sort of like SD QP's. I prefer an old school tone so I sold them.

4. Super_Donut_Man

Super_Donut_Man

Sep 9, 2005
    Cool beans, thanks for the response.

Yeah, all the basses I have right now are on the warm/mellow side, and I am looking for a more agressive sound. Quarter pounders were my other consideration, but thought I'd try something different.

5. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I had a more entry level Pedulla a few years back that came used with a mish-mosh of electronics, but the pickup layout was P/J. I decided to cheer it up with a Muy Grande set (passive), but I didn't really get much improvement. I will say though, that this was back in my earlier days of bass playing before I got dead stuck on good Jazz basses and I also never identified the p/u's that came out of that bass. These Rio Grandes weren't bad, but they just didn't get my attention.

6. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I upgraded a MIM P with a Muy Grande, and it was a fairly substantial difference. It was quite an agressive sounding pickup.