Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rio Grande Pitbull + Kent Armstrong Split Tube Jazz (Wiring Diagram Needed)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dirk, Feb 13, 2006.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm currently in the process of installing a Rio Grande Pitbull and a Kent Armstrong Split Tube Jazz into a Fender MIM P Deluxe. What I need help with is the wiring of the bass. I'm going for a basic vol./vol./tone set up.

Is there any kind soul who could show me how to wire that bad boy up?

Thanks,
    Dirk

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Fundamentally any pickup is a single coil with a start and finish lead and any v/v/tone diagram will function as such with any pickup.

1) locate a v/v/t diagram for bass or guitar anywhere online: guitarelectronics.com, seymourduncan.com, TB search, wherever.

2) You can use a meter or contact Rio Grande or Kent Armstrong or their distributors to get the color code for their pickups. Their sites may have color code listed. The Rio I have no clue but I've got a pair of KA split tube and they have red, white, and bare leads and don't know KA code. But bare is ground and I assume red hot (start), a pickup doesn't know which is the start and finish of the coil and they will work interchangeably in 90 percent plus in passive pups. If the pups are out of phase once wired, switch the connectons on the red and white lead on the KA.

Alternatively, you can just take an educated guess on the wires: warm colors are usually hot leads (coil start) and cool/earthtones coil finish or ground. Bares/braids are always ground. You can solder pigtails to the pots and just use wire nut or twist the wires togehter and tape them for exploration without having to solder/desolder. Once you figure out the combo, solder them permanently.

Just keep the amp low volume when you fire it up and nothing can be damaged.

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    thanks for the advice. This will be my first time wiring, so I'm gonna take it slow and hopefully everything will work out. I did find a wiring schematic for Rio Grande P/J combo and I think I'm going to use that as a starting place.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

it's a good first mod and you'll be fine. Just expect complications to arise. It's a lot like the first half day on a pair of snow skii's.

If you're going to solder grounds to pot backs, you're going to need about a 50W gun. A 15 or 20 won't get hot enough fast enough. There's a soldering thread in FAQ. Haven't read it but Ivar stuck it there so must be decent.