Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rio Grande

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Feb 21, 2002.

1. anyone have experience using these pickups. I was thinking of replacing my pup in my squire musicmaster with one of these.

http://riograndepickups.com/5.html
    probably the Muy Grande.

2. I also need info on these. A local shop recommended then for my Warmoth project. He said the Muy Grande was the best P-bass pickup he has ever heard. I'm going to buy the P-J set.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what about their powerbucker? it seems a roscoe beck style of pickup but beefier!

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I LOVE these Pups! I have a set in a P-bass that just really brought that thing to life! I highly recommend the Muy Grandes!! As for the Powerbucker, that's the pickups used in all those Robin basses, since they're all made under the same roof. I've been out there to thier shop a few times, and Dave is an awesome guy! Sometimes they'll give dealers Cosmetic 2nds, which are just like new, but with a scratch or something on the cover. That's what my Muys were, but like Half the price of retail!

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I had a Rio Grande "Vintage for P" in my '75 Precision. It made a terrific difference over the stock pickup. Very classic P with higher output but excellent clarity. If you don't want significantly higher output though these may not be for you. These will drive your amp much harder. But that's not a bad thing if that's part of your objective.

7. I've been thinking about getting some Rio Grandes for my P, as a Texan myself I can appricate the nice Texas Tone and Workmanship. The main thing that puts me off about them .... is the PRICE. They are kinda expensive. $120 + Texas Sales Tax (According to the Rio Grande Site) is quite high.

8. My biggest grip is the fact they don't have covers for them. I called to ask about that and the guy said it's because the pole pieces are too big. So are SD Quarter pound but they made covers for them.

9. Why don't you get Fender Replacement covers and just enarge the hole?