Riots and protests in DC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baba, Sep 27, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wow...folks are in town to protest the IMF and World Bank.

I heard the protesting in DC had started this morning about a block from my work. Walked down there and they were filling up 3 city buses full of protesters. Some tear gas went off. There were at least a hundred riot cops. Cops on horses, motorcycles. 65 got arrested on that corner for rioting. They broke the windows of a City Bank. They told us we would be arrested if we stepped off the curb. Apparently they started big tire fires in other parts of the city. I heard another 21 were arrested on Independence and 14th. It's kind of surreal out see it on tv, but when you're in the middle of it there's a wierd energy going on. I just hope a bunch of people with no rhythm don't try to make a drum circle...I used to see this in San Francisco all the time.
  2. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    please forgive my lack of knowlege, but could you explain why they were rioting?
  3. Annual meetings of the IMF and World Bank committees.

I know some people involved in the organization of the "quarantine." They tend to get quiet really quickly when I point out that the time and money they're wasting on protesting ostensibly for the rights of people overseas, who they'll never meet, could go to much more effective use enacting changes in local laws in their hometowns.
  4. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    a hearty "AMEN" to you Peter.

"Domestic Policy is for squares. We need another minority in Congress and as long as he plays ball who cares? Don't let some little riots throw you, we're millionaires!"

- Warrior Soul, "The Party"
  5. These incidents always make me wonder how many are actually there because they believe in a cause, and how many are there just to break stuff?
  6. There's a third category: guys who are there to get laid with idealistic, slutty hippie chicks.
  7. And I can hear the drum circles now! there's like 100 different groups protesting a 1,000 different issues or something like that...... But if you bring your drum (bongos) you get a universal pass to protest everything.....:rolleyes: yea! and what Peter said!!:D
  8. Well, living in anarchy central, I'd have to say way too many of them are there just to create trouble. The anarchists around here are often rebels without a clue. The fact that they actually have a president is definitely a sign they're not too sure what they're on about.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sounds like Madison, Wisconsin.

read that, it's very very true.
  10. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000

Problems is, you could easily be talking about the politicians.
  11. Good point. I think Peter's third category could apply here as well.
  12. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I don't think those riots are effective. They hardly shut down the people they are trying to affect, while they block traffic and hurt the business of everyday workers like small restaurant owners. (believe me, DC is chock full of small restaurants) Everyone has to take the metro to get to work, and, as a result, the metro is terribly overcrowded, the trains are filled beyond capacity, and the stations are filled with crowds trying to get near the tracks because if they leave they won't catch the next train.
  13. I 100 % agree with what they are protesting for, but there are other ways to make yourself heard.