1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP Bob Babbitt

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bone, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
  2. It was posted a couple times i think

3. What? No!
    Respect to the man. I love playing his bass lines, such as "Cool Jerk" and "Tears of A Clown"

I'm in disbelief...

4. stony

stony

Apr 10, 2007
    canada
    can't belive it...first Duck and now Bob....the world of bass has lost two legends

5. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Sad day indeed! RIP

6. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Can't find it when I search.

7. If everyone on this forum doesn't own a copy of the "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" DVD they should find one and buy it.

Rick B.

8. LowEndGroover

LowEndGroover Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Long Island
    +1 Got to see the Funk Brothers @ BB Kings in NYC a few years ago and they were awesome. Bob killed that night and was very nice when we briefly spoke after the show.

Huge loss.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I can only agree. A white guy who killed on Motown bass -- that ought to be an inspiration to us all.

So, go buy a copy of Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Guess I'll cue it up....

10. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:(

11. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

One of my hero's. Tone for days. What a bassplayer should be.
    !!!!!!!!!! RIP !!!!!!!!!!!

13. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    RIP Bob. He was a player's player. Great feel!

14. Huge loss - another ledgend down. RIP.

15. Need to get me a copy of that. Been wanting it for too long not to own it.

RIP Bob Babbitt. I'm young, but through my parents grew up on Motown. Realized who these guys were as I got older and more involved with music. The person might pass on, but the influence never dies. Whenever I have children I hope to teach them love for bass playing and love for who was great, even years before me.

16. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Buy it now! And the book. If you can't learn much about playing bass from the book you're probably playing on the CD that comes with it. And in the film it's those modest brilliant people, and what they meant to each other.

Beyond a masterpiece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.