1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP Buck Owens

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by j-raj, Mar 25, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
  2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Just hearing the news . . . :( We're going to play Act Naturally tonight at the gig . . .

3. I'm giving my Owens records a spin tonight in honor, RIP you country music genius.

4. I just heard the news and only logged on to see if others were paying tribute. Buck was a rocker, no doubt about it. To mainstream America he'll probably be remebered as a silly hillbilly unfortunately, but to the rest of us we know what a true innovator and treasure he was. Just wish more people could be enlightened before these greats pass away. God bless you Buck, and thank you for making life a litttle brighter for my brothers and sisters while you were here. You will be missed.

5. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    buck owens was in my top 5. i have everything he ever did, and thats a lot. he and don rich were definatley telemasters. i will listen to nothing but buck owens all week in honor. he was kind enough a few years ago to send me a signed photo and answer a few questions personally about the set ups they used in the studio.

6. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    When I was a kid my parents divorced, so for years my older brother(8 years older) took care of me, and it was years at a young age of The Who, Hendrix, and The Beatles.
    Along Came the man who would become My Stepfather, and he Was in to Glen Cambell, Roy Clark, And Buck.
    He Haw was a must see in my house much to my dismay at that age, that music didnt Rock.
    Took me a Decade or two till I realized they did in their own way.
    Last week at this time I was in Wisconsin Rapids at a steel guitar show of all things having a blast and watching 60 some year old guys shred what some 18 year old strat dude could not do!!!!!!

Thank you Buck!!!! you opened my ears with your goofy show, And dang good records!!!!!

I dont Play country but can understand the beauty of old school country.

Thank you Buck, RIP:crying:

7. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well... I know what my news channels are going to talk about for the next month.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I heard about Buck's passing during last night's gig. The top C&W acts of the 60's & 70's were a big part of my childhood.

Sad news, RIP Buck

9. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    My band got to open for him years ago at the Crazy Horse in Santa Ana CA. I got to meet him, and I asked about a song they had played called "Tall Dark Stranger". I told him I'd never heard it before. Even though I was just another no-name club musician, which I'm sure he'd met a million of, he took my name and address. I was flattered, but figured nothing would come of it. A couple of weeks later, I was stunned to find a cassette tape of the song in the mail!
    What a nice guy. RIP Buck. You made another lifelong fan that night.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Being stuck with awful FM radio in Detroit. At an Open House today, (me, the Realtor) I was surfing the AM channels on a cheap Realistic (Radio Shack) transistor radio I have had for years. I came across WCXI Country radio. Like the old days, it was a few announcements, and then tunes, and more tunes. Then, an announcement, then a ton more tunes.

I called and asked for: "Skip a Rope". They played it 10 minutes later.

AM ain't so bad, and niether is Country Music. They did a 1/2 hour tribute to Buck Owens too.

11. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    hey . i'm a huge buck owens fan. does anyone live in or near bakersfield who would be willing to send me the tribute magazine that appeared in yesterdays paper. i live in atlanta, ga. i think it was a 32 page tribute section. i will reimburse you for it. thanks.

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    He was a true innovator, and made country music *rock*! I had a crush on him as a little girl, watching HeeHaw. He was so awesome, and his songs were always rockin', always cool, always a little dark. I ate it up with a spoon. When my dad and I would argue about what to listen to, there were two artists we could always agree on...Johnny Cash, and Buck Owens.

Country music is...smaller...without him.

Cherie