1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP Cecil Taylor

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by vilshofen, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. A great man and musician. He worked with many great bass players!
    William Parker:

The great Sirone:

Barry Guy:

Buell Neidlinger:

gerry grable, Winoman and vilshofen like this.
  2. RIP Cecil!
    Saw him in concert about 30 years ago, and it was an amazing evening.
    It was a solo performance.

Winoman, damonsmith and gerry grable like this.
  3. vilshofen

vilshofen

Dec 27, 2007
    Casablanca
    Here's Taylor showing his Monk influence, + bass solo. RIP.

Winoman and damonsmith like this.
  4. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    In the very early 60s, I used to catch him often at the little Take 3 Coffee Shop in Greenwich Village where he had a steady gig. That was before the folk singers invaded and took over all the jazz gigs. He had a trio with Sonny Murray on drums and a alto player whose name escapes me, seldom if ever a bass that I recall. It was probably because of budget policy? But then again, the way he played he didn't need a bass.

5. Jimmy Lyons!

Jimmy mostly played with CT but made a handful of albums on his own. Here is Jimmy and Sunny in trio with a young John Lindberg on bass:

gerry grable and Winoman like this.
  6. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    You got it, Damon. It was Jimmy Lyons. That was the steady group at Take Three.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just heard this announced from the stage last night at a concert.

I have to admit losing the thread of his music after his Blue Note albums. I laughed when Branford Marsalis once said of Cecil that he didn't think he should have to go study up before listening to him. I knew what he was talking about, the music got so dense I couldn't enter into it. What's a good recording from his later period for a neophyte to check out?

8. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I heard it here first. My favorite Cecil Taylor record (there are two bassists on most of the songs):

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    lurk likes this.
  9. This is a sad event. And somewhat bizarre...

On 6th April I played a free set with a bamboo flautist. We played as a duo. It was our first time playing together, although we had met and heard each other at prior gigs. It went well. Anyway afterwards the other musician told me he heard "a lot of Jimmy Garrison" in my playing. Which I took as a huge compliment.

Well doing some reading up yesterday I learned that Jimmy Garrison reportedly passed away on April 7, 1976. Which was quite a trip in itself for me, since he had just been mentioned so directly the night before. And this news about Cecil kind of tops it off. That was the *night before* the night before. Very sad and eerily coincidental.

10. Piano radical.

11. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Amazing player, but when I heard him play a duo concert with Max Roach, they played all Cecil's music. Max went toe to toe with him and it was a great evening. I think it may have been recorded and released. Afterwards I wondered, what if they had played Max's music? Could Cecil have played Daahoud at 300 bpm and nailed it the way Max nailed his music? Another time I heard him at the 5 Spot and we sat right next to the piano. I was mesmerized, but the person I was with actually fell asleep.