Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIP Darrell Russell

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike N, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  2. Well, I don't follow drag racing... but I know how it feels when someone dies...

:( :bawl:

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my father-in-law and I were watching that last night. very sad. peace to his family. :(

4. I saw that crash. To me the crash didn't look as bad as some others i have seen and the drivers walked away from some of those worse looking wrecks. Its a shame we lost a great driver.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's a real shame.

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    That is exactly what I thought. I guess that it is just one of those freak things that happen, Just like what happened to Dale Earnhardt. It is very sad. :bawl:

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. I said it with J.D. McDuffie, Grant Adcox, and Clifford Allison. And I said it again with Adam Petty, and Dale Sr...

These guys died doing exactly what they want to do and it is, essentially, entertaining us. That is the shame and certainly NOT how it should be.

And I used the occurences of these men's death's to remind every motorsport enthusiast/participant out there that they OWE it to their families and friends to install, inspect, and insure the use of the best safety equipment available AT ALL TIMES!!! Even if you aren't required to wear a firesuit - do it anyway - a good one. Wear flameproof underwear too. If you've got a $10 head wear a $10 helmet. I prefer the $400 - $800 helmets because I don't have faith in the others. Use fire suppression equipment. Read and follow the manufacturers recommendations and instructions when installing your harnesses. Inspect your webbing on a regular basis and replace it on the same schedule. Put your Blood type on the back of your helmet so Paramedics can record the info when no one is there to answer that question. Give your pit crew specific instructions for what to do in the case of a severe wreck where you are incapacitated. Don't race when you aren't feelilng 110%.

Believe me, your loved ones will appreciate the effort.

9. +2.

The crash didn't look half as bad as some others I've seen, but it did cost Darrell his life.

Too young. Very sad.

RIP, Darrell.

Mike :(