1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP Derek Boogaard.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, May 14, 2011.

1. Heard about this earlier this morning.. still kind of hard to believe.

He was out for the latter half of the season with a concussion and shoulder-injury, but I am not sure if it is related at all.

I'm interested in when they're going to release details, but it sure is a tragic loss for someone that young. I expect the Rangers organization to do something nice for him and his family, especially since Derek gave so much during the time he was in NY.

2. if he had a concussion it could have been hiding a more severe brain injury. or perhaps second impact syndrome? there was a kid on the football team in HS that died mid-season because of a head injury that was not treated with the proper precautions. this is only speculation.

3. Boogaard was an enforcer. I'm sure taking blows to the head for all these years didn't help his cause any. In any case, RIP, Derek.

4. Could be. Just this winter past, a local man (mid 20's to mid 30's, can't remember his age exactly, but certainly not old) slipped on ice and bumped his head.

Died 2-3 weeks later.

5. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Such a shame. He was a top 5 enforcer and fighter in the NHL. More and more of the "tough guys" are leaving the sport one way of another.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I heard through the grapevine that Mathew Barnaby is in custody. Charges escape me at the moment,...and whether or not it is in relation to Boogaard's death would be pure speculation.

I'm loathed to spread any rumors,...it's just what I heard and could only be just a rumor.

That said,...the hockey world mourns the loss of a true enforcer and ultimate teammate. Even some Flyers fans were paying their respects on the several Flyers FB fan pages I'm a part of.

:(

7. flyers fan here:bassist:

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    See we aren't a bunch of goons are we. :cool:

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    This is SAD, and at such a young age-what a waste...

RIP Derek!