1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIP DIO THREAD

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThatBassistDude, May 16, 2011.

1. Today one year ago, heavy metal lost one of it's greatest voices. Ronnie may be gone, but he is not forgotten. Post your pics of Dio, or if you have any experiences with him please share. \m/

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    There will never be another. Rock on, Dio. Rock on.

3. What the heck happened?

4. You didn't know? He lost the fight with stomach cancer.

5. I remember having to work that day, it almost felt like a good friend had passed.

Rest in peace Dio, o' lord of heavy metal, you are sorely missed!
    [​IMG]

6. Damn. I hate the "c" word.

What are the risk factors [behaviors] that can trigger stomach cancer?

7. No clue, i remember when I heard. I was watching that metal show on vh1 classic. A commercial thing came on with a few clips from the rainbow in the dark video, then said rip Dio, I was speechless.

8. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I saw Heaven and Hell in Züri, early sumemr '09. One of the ebst shows I've seen, and the man himself looked me in the eye as he gave the horns. I duly gave them back.

RIP Dio

9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    RIP Dio, he was a legend. saw him live in '04, drunk in field outside Hamburg (i was drunk, not him) - brilliant.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Best metal singer ever. Power, presence, creativity, the whole package. I only saw him twice, both were phenomenal. My wife loves his singing too! :hyper:

11. He had an amazing career! The Rainbow and Black Sabbath albums he did were easily in my mind the best work either band ever put out. Then his solo work after was unforgettable (for the most part lol). I used to have a dvd where Dio fought a dragon with a pink lasersword during a concert. The 80's and Dio in particular represent a purity in metal that I doubt we'll ever see again.

12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Still my avatar.

13. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    A non-musian friend of mine summed it up perfectly so many years ago........

"He just has the perfect voice"

14. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    I was in LA working at the end of the hair metal era (89-90, accounting for some of those ridiculous pictures I have posted in the "caption" thread) . I had the incredible opportunity to meet and become a good acquaintance if not friend to Craig Goldy, who was RJD's guitar player after Vivian left. He also played for Giuffria before his RJD gig. While listening to his demo tracks for what would be his solo record, out of the blue he said, "wanna meet Ronnie"?

I was a huge RJD fan. Still am actually - His voice on those early Rainbow albums define rock and roll for me. I even had the first two Elf records on vinyl (which actually became Rainbow when Blackmore joined them).

I said of course I wanted to meet Ronnie. Craig took me to a little meet and greet that Ronnie was having for some industry people. I still am not sure what the occasion was, didn't care - I was in the same room with RJD. I haven't spoken to Craig for probably 18 to 20 years now, haven't heard anything he's done since that solo record came out all those years ago, but he was a great dude - and he made it possible for me to get these pics. I was really sad when Ronnie died

[​IMG]

15. Wow! Great story and pics TC2112.