Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIP Doobie Brother Keith Knudsen

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LoJoe, Feb 8, 2005.

1. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    By KIM CURTIS, AP
    SAN FRANCISCO (Feb. 8) - Keith Knudsen, the longtime Doobie Brothers drummer who was part of the band during a string of hits that included "Taking it to the Streets" and "Black Water," died of pneumonia Tuesday. He was 56.

LINK

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Doobies rocked.

RIP Keith.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Aw man. I hate looking at threads and discovering someone has died.

RIP :(

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can't imagine the Doobies with only one drummer.... :(

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Doobie Brothers are legendary...

RIP....

7. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    I am shocked, may he rest in peace and the other Doobs are in my thoughts.

I've seen a few shows of them in the U.S., and attended their concert in Amsterdam last year of course (the first in 25 years in Holland!). The Doobs have a special place in my heart. I've been a fan since the very beginning, and so have my brother and even my mother (she especially liked the "heavy" tracks).

In September 2002 the three of us visited a gig in California. My mother flew in from Amsterdam for 2 days just for the concert, a big wish came true. Afterwards she had her picture taken with Pat Simmons and Michael Hossack. I had it framed and it had a prominent place in her living room.

11 months later my mother died of cancer. I mailed the Doobs that one of their biggest fans was no longer here, and they responded very kindly, they remembered that crazy senior citizen who flew halfway across the world just to see a Doobies concert, and who brought presents for all the Doobs, all too well.

The picture of my mum with Pat and Big Mike now has a prominent place in my own living room as you may understand.

I hope that they will continue to spread the joy of music with their wonderful songs and that I will be able see them again.

I salute a very kind man and excellent musician.

Steven

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I read about this last night. Bummer. I was a huge Doobs fan when I was younger and still dig them now. They also had one of the most underappreciated bassists in history: Tiran Porter.

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    A very kind man and a great drummer. He will be sorely missed...

10. One of my closest friends is a 56 yr old drummer. :(

RIP Doobie drummer.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was never a Doobie Bros. fan, but their bassist did have tone.

12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    :( RIP, dude.

I saw a Doobies concert on HDNet about a month or two ago; looked like it was very recent. Does anybody know if he was still in the band recently?

13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Yep, he was in the band until the end....

14. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Yep, Tiran Porter is one of the most underrated bassists in the history of classic rock and soul... :bassist:

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    OT but "underappreciated" and "underrated" are not words that spring to mind regarding Tiran Porter. I think "respected" is more like it. I love his playing on all those great Doobie hits like "Long Train Runnin'", "Takin' It To The Streets" and "China Grove".

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
  17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

so sad , died too young , he will be missed ...
    RIP .

18. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    It's a shame no bass magazine has ever interviewed him and he is so seldom mentioned by people....

These, IMHO, are just a couple of reasons why I feel he is both underrated and underappreciated....

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love that bass part in "China Grove". Coming up with just the right thing to play on top of such a strong guitar riff had to be tough.