1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP Etta James

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Jan 20, 2012.

1. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I saw Etta on her last tour, even ripped her in a print review for being unbelievably crass (called her grandkids "nappy headed little n-----s," from the stage, their parents were in the band and just sat there and shook their heads). She seemed pretty out of it--a lot of folks walked out thinking she was drunk. Of course, none of us knew she was pretty far along in terms of her dementia. But I remember her from the 70s and 80s and 90s and she was a hell of a performer. One of the all-time great song interpreters.

One thing that's gone unnoticed is the Johnny Otis, who discovered Etta, died two days earlier at the age of 90. He was best know for taking the Bo Diddley beat and shaping it into the hit song "Hand Jive," later recorded by Eric Clapton and others.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Tonight's spinning vinyl...
    2012-01-20_20-51-49_303.

3. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Now that right there is OLD Skool. :cool: Very Nice. RIP Etta

4. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

Jun 25, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the hook up to 'At Last'. Sitting at the bar while Etta was running her band through sound check. She came down off stage and wandered over and sat beside me. A little small talk let to her flirting with me, which was fine, till my woman (with a capital W) came back to sit down and proceeded to tear a strip off Ms. James about messing with her man, to which she replied something along the line of, 'Well I wouldn't leave such a pretty thing alone, who knows what could come along and snatch him up'. Of course they got into it....A very entertaining dust up for sure. My way of saying Rest In Peace to LaVerne and Etta...two larger than life ladies.