1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP Fernando Grillo?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by damonsmith, Jul 24, 2013.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It appears we lost the great maestro. All the articles are in Italian, he seems to have fallen/jumped or have been thrown out of a window. Sad day for the double bass.

2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Nobody knows anything?
    Here is a video of Grillo playing:

oliebrice likes this.
  3. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
  4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It is a bit disappointing that TB seems to not care/know about this great musician.

5. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Will never understand suicide. I've heard that it's all to common these days for Italians to suicide this way, often due to economic despair. I don't know if this was the case with Grillo. I'll admit not knowing of him until now, but it doesn't mean I don't care and won't seek out his work in the future, A sad way to discover him. Thanks for sharing, Damon.

6. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    yes men, it's sad but it's truth. I'm italian, I live here. the newpspaper says that Grillo is dead: a suicide.
    Here in Italy the economic situation is very terrible: many entrepeneurs (small businness owners) committ suicide. work and survive with music it's very very hard. common people find hard to go to shopping. but I think that Maestro Grillo had other problems...
    sorry if I spoke so sadly about Italy, but here it's hard. a hard night...
    hello everyone,
    Tito

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    That is sad news. A friend of mine from Sicily turned me on to him a few years ago. He was a big fan. Although I'm not a double bass player that guy was awesome.

8. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I care. I responded. And to be fair, the story hasn't been picked up in much of the media. I still haven't seen a single English-language piece.

9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Sure, but this is one of the greatest double bass players of all time. If it was thread pointing out some millionaire jazz player actually can't play the instrument very well it would be three pages long already.

Grillo was super important to the instrument. This a huge loss for us.

10. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  11. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  12. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
  13. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    sad news, incredible bassist

14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    More strange video of Maestro Grillo:

15. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    I heard about this a few days ago. Terrible news. Thanks for the video. I really wanted to see him play with two bows. The first I ever heard him was on a Iancu Dumitrescu album where he played with 2 bows. I was completely blown away.

16. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Those Dumitrescu albums were huge for me early on. He really showed the way - basically the Bertram Turetzky in Europe.

17. Thank you for letting us all know and your advocacy for Fernando's legacy. I got to study with one of the Maestro's students...this is a huge loss, and heartbreaking.

18. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Damon, I do think you are being a little hard on TB. The response to this thread disproves your allegations. I think we all care; knowing, however, is another thing. And learning about different players is one of the great attributes of TB.
    I, for one, had never heard of the guy; but I do now. It is disappointing that, too often, talented and productive people in all fields of endeavor live in obscurity until they are thrust into the limelight by death.
    Take care,
    Gerry