RIP Gerry Niewood + Coleman Mellet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by milomo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29183838/

Among those who died in yesterday's plane crash in Buffalo were these two excellent musicians, and beautiful human beings. Neither were bass players, but i don't think that matters.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    That's tough.

Gerry Niewood's son Adam is a respected tenor-player and mouthpiece craftsman. Nice guy.

I saw Mr. Niewood in the 70s with his outstanding ensemble "Timepiece" with David Samuels on vibes, the fine Canadian bassist Michel Donato on DB and Mangione bandmate Ron Davis on drums. Great band and NICE album -- very nice production values but more importantly, they gently pushed the envelopes on some strong originals and several tunes from John Abercrombie's "Timeless" LP. Both the concert and the album made a dent for teenage Sam -- that's all been a place to aim for ever since.

RIP. Phooey.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i just saw this on ABC news...

:(

RIP

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I played a little trio gig with Gerry just a couple of weeks ago-he was one of those guys who, with musicianship and positive attitude could make any gig enjoyable. This is a great loss to his friends and colleagues as well as his family.

5. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

I recorded last year with Coleman - he was a beautiful guitarist and a gentleman.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I heard Coleman was married to Jeannie Bryson, didn't know him myself. Gerry did some playing with some friends of mine....
    Sad news...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021