Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIP Gregory Hines

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Actor-dancer Gregory Hines dead at 57, publicist says

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Tony Award winner Gregory Hines, the tap-dancing actor who started on Broadway and in movies including "White Nights" and "Running Scared," has died, his publicist says. He was 57.

Hines died Saturday in Los Angeles of cancer, publicist Allen Eichorn said.

The dancer, among the best in his generation, won a 1993 Tony for the musical "Jelly's Last Jam."

Hines became internationally known as part of a jazz tap due with his brother, Maurice, and the two danced together in the musical revue "Eubie!" in 1978. The brothers later performed together in Broadway's "Sophisticated Ladies" and on film in 1984's "The Cotton Club."

In "The Cotton Club," Hines also had a lead acting role, which led to more work in film. He starred with Mikhail Baryshnikov in 1985's "White Nights" and with Billy Crystal in 1986's "Running Scared," and he appeared with Whitney Houston and Angela Bassett in 1995's "Waiting to Exhale," among other movies.

On television, he had his own sitcom in 1997 called "The Gregory Hines Show," as well as a recurring role on "Will and Grace." This past March, he appeared in the spring television series "Lost at Home."

Gregory Oliver Hines was born on February 14, 1946, in New York City. He has said his mother urged him and his older brother toward tap dancing because she wanted them to have a way out of the ghetto.

When he was a toddler, he said, his brother was already taking tap lessons and would come home and teach him steps. They began performing together when Gregory Hines was five, and they performed at the Apollo for two weeks when he was six.

In 1974 they were cast in the Broadway musical "The Girl in Pink Tights," starring French ballerina Jeanmaire.

"I don't remember not dancing," Hines said in a 2001 interview with The Associated Press. "When I realized I was alive and these were my parents, and I could walk and talk, I could dance."

Paired with his brother Maurice, he was a professional child star. In his teens, joined by their father, Maurice Sr., on drums, they were known as Hines, Hines and Dad.

Later he earned Tony nominations on Broadway in "Eubie," "Comin' Uptown" and "Sophisticated Ladies." He won a Tony for best actor in a musical playing jazz legend "Jelly Roll" Morton in "Jelly's Last Jam."

Actor, Dancer Gregory Hines dies at 57
    by Tim Malloy, The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (Aug. 10) - Tony Award winner Gregory Hines, the tap-dancing actor who started on Broadway and in movies including "White Nights'' and "Running Scared,'' has died, his publicist says. He was 57.

Hines died Saturday in Los Angeles of cancer, publicist Allen Eichorn said.

The dancer, among the best in his generation, won a 1993 Tony for the musical "Jelly's Last Jam.''

Hines became internationally known as part of a jazz tap due with his brother, Maurice, and the two danced together in the musical revue "Eubie!'' in 1978. The brothers later performed together in Broadway's "Sophisticated Ladies'' and on film in 1984's "The Cotton Club.''

2. A sad day !! What a great entertainer. He was a great performer.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    He was an AMAZING dancer and a funny guy.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    what a loss :(

He's the guy that Tapped along with Stanley in the early 90's right? I remember seeing them together on Letterman at the time

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yeah, on the song "Basically Taps" from the album If This Bass Could Talk.

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That is so sad, I really thought he was great. I bought "history of the world Part I" just because he was so funny in it.

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    He left us much too soon.

What a talent!

RIP

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO, Hines' part in that movie made it worthwhile.
    (I'm no fan of Me; Brooks, either).
    Hines & Crystal made an interesting team.
    ...and how 'bout Hines shooting the moon in Wolfen?

RIP, man.

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    RIP. A young guy too. He was funny and a good performer.

10. Thats sad, way to young.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sad! I only really remember him from 'History of the World Part 1'......