1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIP Harry Kalas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheXym, Apr 13, 2009.

1. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Longtime broadcaster for the Phillies and NFL films. Class guy, and a loss to sports broadcasting. I grew up listening to this guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4064793

mods please move this, I just shotgun posted when tabbing from the other window (sorry everyone)

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's a sad day in Philadelphia. Harry started broadcasting for the Phillies when I was 2 years old, so he has literally been the voice of baseball for me for my entire life.

I'm happy that he was able to call a Phillies World Series victory before he passed. RIP Harry.

3. What a sad day for baseball, broadcasting, and Philadelphia. I too was raised listening to Harry call games. He was a great broadcaster, someone to inspire anyone who has worked in the field (as I do).

He will be missed.

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Harry K, and the bird. tough day for baseball

5. themadpiper

themadpiper This is CAKETOWN!!

Jun 25, 2008
    Pascagoula, MS
    Sad, sad day indeed. As a lifelong Phillies fan, listening to games just won't be the same. As said above, I'm glad he got to call the World Series victory since he didn't get to in '80. RIP Harry K.

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I was about 7 or so when he started calling games for the Phillies. I've been listening to him as long as I've been interested in baseball and I can't imagine not hearing his voice anymore. His really is the voice of Phillies baseball.

RIP, Harry. May ESPN (Eternal Sports Programming Network :D ) give you and Whitey an opportunity to once again call games together.

7. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006

Very true. My Dad is a lifelong Phillies fan, and he said that only the players had gotten their rings, but not the front office/broadcasters. That's a shame, but, as you say, I'm glad he got to call a series win last year.

8. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I will miss him. He was a legend. Once you heard his voice for 2 seconds, there was no doubt who you were listening to.
    He's joined his long time announcing partner Richie Ashburn.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I was visiting my in-laws this weekend in Philly. I watched the game on Saturday night. After hearing the very ordinary Nationals team (play-by-play guy Bob Carpenter is good, the new color guy is an embarrasment), I was so happy to hear the velvety voice of Harry Kalas, a hall of fame broadcaster; one of the best voices ever to do sports game calls. Then I went to watch the game sunday and learned of the tragedy. He will be missed. :(

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I am heart broken over this one. Such a bummer for all us sports fans.

-Mike

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Sad news.
    He helped make "Inside the NFL" a great show since he joined in 1977.
    Steve Sabol said John Facenda was the voice of God, and Harry was the voice of the people.
    RIP