Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIP Homer R Mensch 1914-2005

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Justin K-ski, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Famed bass teacher Homer R Mensch died last night. Although I was not his student, he was always warm, affable and kind whenever we spoke. He was a great asset to the double bass community and will be missed. His funeral date has not yet been set, but I or someone else will post when it is.

His bio as it appears on the juilliard website.

Born:
    Sussex, NJ

Degrees and Studies:
    Attended Dalcroze and Manhattan School of Music. Orchestral training with National Orchestra Association under Leon Barzin.

Biographical Information:
    Assistant principal bass, Pittsburgh Symphony, under Reiner. Member, New York Philharmonic, under Barbirolli, Rodzinski, Bernstein. CBS and NBC staffs, NBC Symphony under Toscanini. Longtime member of Mostly Mozart Orchestra. Radio and television appearances. Chamber music performances with Heifetz and Piatigorsky. Recordings with Isaac Stern and Nathan Milstein, Bach Aria, Casals Festival Orchestra. Clinician for American String Teachers Association, Music Educators National Conferences. Publications: International Publishing Company. Faculties, Yale and Rutgers, 1973-84; Manhattan School of Music, Mannes, and Queens College.

The Juilliard School:
    Faculty, College and Pre-College Divisions, since 1970. Chair, Double bass department, since 2002.

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Here are details on services.

Services will be held on Wednesday, December 12, 2005
    Frank E. Campbell's
    1076 Madison Ave. at 81 Street
    New York, NY

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    what an awful loss. I was planning to study with him next year.....