Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIP Howie Epstein

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Howie Epstein, long time Tom Petty bassist, was found dead of an apparent heroin overdose at 47. While he was not as influencial or well known as someone like John Entwistle, still very sad news. :(

2. He had a top notch resume though. Bummer, I always liked his work. Very tasty.

Damn drugs!

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Yeah, he had a good resume, including quite a bit of work with Dylan in the 80's.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Over to bassists.

That is to bad. Never new any of the Petty camp as being partiers. If I recall he hasnt been playing with the lastest group supporting the new album.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    *sigh*

:(

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I'm a big TP and Heartbreakers fan for over 20 years. There was a reference on his website several months ago stating that Howie was let go for personal reasons. This was on the website this morning:

Feb. 24, 2003 - From Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - About Howie
    "We are deeply saddened at the news of Howie’s passing. It’s difficult to put into words how much we loved him and will miss him. The world has lost a great talent and a kind and gentle soul. We can only take solace in knowing he is now at peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and his many friends."

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Another sad day.

:( :(

7. very very sad when I heard this on _cnn_ yesterday. petty had given him leave to get his **** together and it didn't happen. what a loss.

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    :(

This is the first I've heard of this...how sad. I always admired Howie's talent for layin' it down and playing so "correct". And tone for days too. We need more Howie Epsteins, not fewer.

And for all you younger cats out there...please stay away from that bad bad H. Just ponder for a moment all the new music we'll never hear because of that sh*t.

9. RIP -

Who'd have known of all the bassists that H.E. would get sucked in. Damn shame - he's left behind some rock solid deep in the pocket lines. Not flashy, but i always liked the way he locked in with the drums.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Couldn't have said it better Max!
    R.I.P Howie:(