Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rip in speaker cone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kylepyle, Sep 19, 2004.

1. kylepyle

kylepyle

Sep 19, 2004
    Hey, lately my amp has been making blasting noises, especially when the low end is up high. my friend says its a rip in the cone, what can i do about this problem? if anything

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get it reconed, replace the speaker, or use some silicone adhesive stuff to fix it. Be aware that this repair may change the sound of the cabinet, and you should only use a very tiny bit of adhesive.

3. kylepyle

kylepyle

Sep 19, 2004
    When i bought it, it had just recently had the speaker replaced with a new yorkville speaker. argh!

4. kylepyle

kylepyle

Sep 19, 2004
    I took it apart, removed some sawdust, tightened some bolts and glued the cone, and now it works great, even with the low end turned really high.

5. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    would a hole in one of the cones on a 4x10..say the size of a pencil..have any effect on the sound of the bass?

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The hole will only get bigger and destroy your speaker. You should repair it ASAP.

7. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    where can i get this silicone adhesive?

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks IvanMike...I don't have to retype my method of fixing holes and tears in speaker cones!!!!